The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM

seaswan21 is on a distinguished road
Default THE Steelhead fly?

If you were to use one fly for Steelhead. What would it be?
I started tying a few "Winter Orange" patterns. Is it worth my time and energy? I'm hoping to fish thru the winter months in NY State mostly. Would like to hear from anyone with good advise on some simple and effective patterns.

Carl
Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: THE Steelhead fly?

The Green Butt Skunk because it works everywhere you can think of. The one on the left is the normal fly while the one on the right is the Dee style variation I did.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 PM

seaswan21 is on a distinguished road

I think the Butt on the left is more my speed Double D...I think it's in my "steelhead Flies" book as well! Appreciate the feedback!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The most important thing is that you have confidence in the fly. The more confidence you have in it the better you will fish it. When I go out and swing flies with a buddy he fishes big gaudy marabou tubes, I'll fish all black hairwings and we both get grabs. Any and all steelhead designed flies are only as good as you fish them. That being said I'd pick the all black hairwing, with variations in size and either copper or gold ribbing.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I"d say the most important thing is presentation. Regardless of fly.

If you present a fly in the correct manner then you will get hits.
I've seen guys throwing sucker spawn and all kinds of egg patterns getting hits here and there, and then the guy across the river throwing stone flies and getting fish every other cast.
Sure, you might say its the fly and to a certain extent it is, but presentation is KEY to success.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi fellows,

Although I am not a registered steelhead expert I have caught a few from Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, tributaries and some here in AK. All of the replies thus far sound right on to me. I would lean toward the darker flies as well and as stated, be careful to show the fish the fly and not you. Something I will add is this; if you choose to fish your flies in a traditional fly fishing manner you may be among the minority out there.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Can't help you in the Northeast, but out West, the first fly I swing through a pool or a slack run is a Silver Hilton. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
Can't help you in the Northeast, but out West, the first fly I swing through a pool or a slack run is a Silver Hilton. Click the image to open in full size.
+1 My go to on the Klamath since 1975. It seems some things don't change.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I am not shamelessly self promoting by coming back and re-posting this fly, really I'm not. The truth is that this is the fly that I have caught the most lake & sea run trout on.

This was my original twist to the well known Nine Three streamer, I began making this varaition in the 90's.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This is the fancy version I began making circa 2007;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I felt that by adding the tag, butt, and crystal flash I had made significant improvements to my eye. The original pattern works as well and if anything the crystal flash may have given it some fish appeal but I doubt they noticed the ostrich butt The second version was different enough to warrant calling it 'Ard's Nine Three' and it has been great on steelhead & trout. I could be bad and litter the thread with pictures of fish but I'm hoping that you'll take my word for the results.

If you tie any of these and someone sees your flies they might notice that they have not seen that fly before. I believe that lends itself to the flies effectiveness, fish never saw one before either, probably not the case for the woolybugger.............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

If you're thinking fishing the Salmon in Pulaski then I would suggest egg patterns early and then switch to stone fly or other nymph patterns. They seem to work the best up here. Can't say much about any other rivers though.