The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tying the Jock Scott

Just dont be disappointed if it does not look like the one in the picture. If it does not turn out like you want it too, Try again. There fun to tie
Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenstonefly View Post
Just dont be disappointed if it does not look like the one in the picture. If it does not turn out like you want it too, Try again. There fun to tie
I fully intend to have fun tying this fly and will not give up til i have it like i want it (i.e. the picture).

Maybe i'll give myself a nice christmas day present by tying it up for then.

Watch this space.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-02-2011, 01:33 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

I just found a link on another forum that gives pretty reasonable subs for most of the rarer feathers required. anyone with any interest can pm me for details.
This may not be as expensive as first thought.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 11-02-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Could you please edit that post to remove the active link that leads to another forum? One of the few rules we actively enforce is no linking to other forums. It would be cool to state that you found a good source and if anyone is interested, contact you via PM.

Sorry bout that & thanks,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-02-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Done, Sorry about that. It escaped my memory.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Subs make a lot of sense for this pattern. The cost of genuine Blue Chatterer alone will set you back the price of a starter rod/reel/line! Fortunately, there are a wide variety of sub materials to choose from.

A very worthy endeavor - good luck and have fun with it!

Pocono
Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 AM

Just a quick update on the status of this little project of mine, which is currently running into the low $100 range.

Ordered all materials listed below:

Golden Pheasant Complete Head
Goose Shoulder - Yellow, Red, Blue
Peacock Wing Mottled
Guinea Feather
Cock of the Rock Orange (SUB) - GP Crest/orange weaver
Blue and Gold Macaw
Teal Flank Natural
Ostrich Herl Black
Bronze mallard
White Tipped Turkey
Woodduck Natural
Lady Amherst PT
Blue Chaterer Sub - Pheasant neck dyed
Cock of the rock sub - Pheasant neck dyed
Indian Crow Sub - Pheasant neck dyed
Hooks Daiichi 2051 Alec Jackson Black Spey Hook - size 3/0
Extra Fine Oval Silver Tinsel
Medium Flat silver tinsel
Floss - white, Yellow and Black
Speckled bustard sub -Cinnamon tip turkey tail feathers

Now i just need to nail down some Jungle cock eyes (a cape is overkill, and overbudget for me right now), and then i'll be tying it up. Well ahead of my Dec 25 target.

Well, lets see how many iterations of the fly i go through before i get one i'm happy with.

Should be fun trying though...

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-23-2011, 03:26 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Jocks are easy to tie. you'll be fine. You'll have to do alot of searching thru the died pheasant neck feathers to find good ones. it'll make more sense when you see them. alot of them will be half black.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Send a PM with your mailing address and tell me what size hooks you are going to tie on and I will send you some JC eyes,

Happy Thanksgiving

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I recently found this site.Feathersmc.com: Home
Seems like they have about any type of feather you could ever want.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."