The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Tying the Jock Scott

My tying goal for this winter is the Classic JOCK SCOTT
Click the image to open in full size.

My motivation is basically the challenge of replicating one of the most revered (IMHO) stacked wing salmon flies known to man

However, as this pattern uses a lot of rare bird feathers i was wondering if anyone on this forum has tried to tie this fly with success?

If so, what materials did you substitute for the more rare feathers like 'Cock-of the rock', FLoricain Bustard and blue chatterer

Any and all input is very welcome.

If i'm successful, and can source all materials, maybe when i get done i'll do a tie along if there is enough interest.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying the Jock Scott

s fontinalis: Pocono hosted a tie along last year that I believe covered the Jock Scott pattern. I had signed up but had to drop out due to my wife's illness. You might try sending a PM to Pocono or Hardyreels, both will know the answer to your question. You might also try searching for the tie along that Pocono hosted, I'm sure he discusses the material issue.

OK, I finally found the tie along, take a look through this thread: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?. Wow, that took awhile, I finally found the Jock Scott, Step-by-Step that Pocono posted, it starts on page 46 on the link above. Hope that provides some help. For materials support, talk with Pocono.

Larry

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 11-01-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is Allan's thunder and I will wait for his advice on sub materials. He did a great deal of research and I believe that if you page through the thread to the Materials List for the JS you'll find all his recommendations. I was among the few who had all of those feathers or my time proven substitute goodies and so didn't do any searching. I will add here that the next to last pattern on the thread, the Jock O' Dee has been a proven fish getter for me here since I first tied it on. I have replicated it a half dozen times for my own use and sent some to others to use as well. I will be making a bunch more of them this winter for sure.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

PS. I've had an after thought; unless you've done these before I would urge you to begin on the Grub pattern that starts the thread and work through. Allan did an incredible job of photographing and documentation on every step. His careful instruction will take a person through all the proper construction steps.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2011, 12:49 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

just ordered some of the more readily available materials for this.
To say i'm excited is an understatement.
Its funny, i always get this way when i get a new pattern to tie...

must the addictive reward centers in my brain kicking in.....Man, I wish i wasn't a scientist!

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the information went from the basal ganglia successfully routed to all sectors that will contribute to anxiety and excitement. Surly the visual input of the fly was enough to get things synaping along

Did you look at Allan's work on the instructions, this will be helpful unless you are an old hand at all that stuff.........

Old 11-01-2011, 01:04 PM

I did look at the instructions he posted. Very thorough. Also did some research courtesy of google and found some great sites offering the rarer feathers ( at least showing them, some were not currently available).
I also managed to find some great substitute materials lists for this fly.

As for old hand at this - i think not. This will be the first time I will have tied a salmon fly of any repute or description - as Allan said in the sbs - it can only go downhill from here.

I remain unfazed. At least til i see the final cost of materials, something I'm definitely going to have to hide from the better half.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Where there is will there is way. I learned to make these back in 1978 - current, there were no web sites, and the closest thing I had to a step X step was an old book by Alf Walker; Tying Salmon Flies. pretty good there, I remembered his name! I donated that book to the J.V. Brown Public Library years ago.

All the new technology is great and with anglers ability to pass pictures via the net we now live at the tying vice with full knowledge of what perfection looks like. Don't let the drive for perfection cause undue stress as you work through this. In the 70's and into the 80's even the examples in the books palled when compared to what people are turning out today. A really good tie can be shadow boxed for display but remember, these are for fishing. Hint: be careful where you cast and never use weight.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

What a great goal! It's not an easy pattern by any means. Plan on spending a couple hours on it. Don't feel like you have to finish it all at once either. If things stop going your way put it up and finish it later. I gave one a try the other day and at the end of the night all I had to show for it was disappointment. I cheat when it comes to rare materials. If I dont have what it calls for I just sub something or leave it out. Have fun tying salmon flies and dont be afraid to fish them. Like Ard said that's what there made for.

Last edited by wovenstonefly; 11-01-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 PM

Am I deluding myself that i can make the first one look like one in the picture??

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Administrator

I don't know. Some of my very earliest salmon flies were some of my best. Even today when I tie something new the first is often the best unless I make a dozen or so over the course of the year. When I make the same fly repeatedly they become uniform.