The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 08:12 PM

flyguys is on a distinguished road
Default Materials

I am going to start tying more advanced flies. I am gonna stock my materials station. The question is like what are the top ten or o materials that are needed on lot of patterns. That way i can stock up these materials.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:13 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Materials

I guess it would help if you gave us some idea of what fish you're tying for. Materials for trout flies vary significantly from saltwater fish, for example.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:10 PM

flyguys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Materials

i want to tie mainly almon and trout flies
Old 06-27-2010, 05:24 PM

cketh is on a distinguished road

It feels weird to brainstorm a list without specific patterns to tie, but here goes.

I couldn't be without:
peacock herl,
pheasant tails,
deer body hair,
elk body hair,
partridge,
good dryfly necks in grizzly and brown,
wetfly saddles in grizzly and brown,
turkey wing feathers,
goose biots in various colors,
wet and dry fly dubbing in a variety of colors,
various threads,
various copper ribbing wire, lead weighting wire, beads for nymph heads.

I'm sure I'd be missing something but that gives you an awful lot of flies you can tie.

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

^^^ I agree with cketh. That list will tie a lot of patterns.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should try and narrow it down to some specific patterns that represent broad "styles" of flies you want to tie--- otherwise you're liable to be all over the place chasing materials--- and that can get real expensive real quick.

Since you mentioned you're interested in more advanced patterns it sounds like you've been tying a bit and may already have some of the basic stuff.

Here are just a few examples of "styles" of flies that use fairly inexpensive materials, and would probably be considered "intermediate" in terms of the skills needed to tie them:

Sparkleduns, X Caddis, and Comparaduns use arc wings of short, fine deer hair (sold as comparadun hair or coastal deer hair) for flotation as opposed to dry fly hackle. Materials would include a few shades of deer hair (bleached, light, medium, and dark for about 2 bucks a piece), an assortment of dry fly dubbing like Superfine (about 13 bucks) and tailing material microfibbetttes (light and medium dun) and amber and brown colored Z-lon or Antron for shuck and dry fly hooks. These are very effective on slow water for trout and by using different hook sizes, dubbing colors, and shades of hair for wings you can imitate virtually any mayfly or caddis hatch.

RAT series of Hair Wing Salmon flies- using gray fox body hair for wings (patch about 2-3 bucks) different colored floss, oval tinsel, peacock swords, red thread, grizzly hen saddle and salmon hooks. There are a whole series of RAT flies including the Rusty RAT, Blue RAT, Silver RAT, Black RAT etc

There are many other examples of styles of flies as well as more difficult to tie stuff like wets or salmon flies with married wings that may require more exotic (and expensive) materials (reasonably priced substitutes may be available). Such specialty materials may be a little more difficult to find in typical fly shops although a good local shop might be able to special order them for you and there are shops that specialize in these materials.

Keep us posted, and if you can narrow it down a bit to the types of flies you'd like to tie, I'm sure folks can suggest materials.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 PM

cketh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
I think you should try and narrow it down to some specific patterns that represent broad "styles" of flies you want to tie--- otherwise you're liable to be all over the place chasing materials--- and that can get real expensive real quick.
This is really fine advice, too. I tie mostly traditional trout patterns (as you can probably tell by the short list I made). Other people probably can't live without closed cell foam, crystal flash, whatever their preferences dictate.

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 06-29-2010, 06:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I think that when you become an 'advanced' tyer you'll find that you'll become interested in the styles of different 'masters' and the understanding of their reasoning and appreciation of their styles may change quickly as you acquire different experiences.
Buy some books by people whose flies you admire, learn their methods, then buy the materials that they use and copy their flies.
Eventually, you'll find with experience that you agree with some of their theories and disagree with others. Then you'll naturally move on to a different style more closely in line with your beliefs.
It's a long, never ending process
Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

If someone ask this already and I have missed it; my apologies are in line, but how much are you planing on spending to stock your materials supply?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-07-2010, 05:48 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

has anyone noted that you will need hooks, glue/epoxy, thread, scissors, lamp, tunes, beer (optional), etc?