The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM

overefined is on a distinguished road
Default A Lot of extra tying materials/hooks. looking for advice on selling

I bought a bulk BULK lot of fly tying materials and after I took out some for myself and selling most of the tools/ giving away a bit I still have a lot of stuff.
I would like to sell as a big lot, but not sure the best way to do this. I will take pictures of all of it, it that would help ( it will take a few hours). I would appreciate advice on what is the best way to sell, here? ebay? clist? I have no idea how much it would cost to ship. Should I separate, or try to keep together? I have probably 15,000 hooks from all different brands, 2 boxes of hackles, saddles and 2 more boxes of feathers. 1 box of elk hair. 50 of so thread bobins. If anyone has an approximate $$$$ that would be great. I want to make the buyer a great deal, but I don't want to be taken either. If I take pictures how would it be best to display them? I would probably have to take 20 or more pictures to show it well.
thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:33 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Lot of extra tying materials/hooks. looking for advice on selling

If you're shipping enough stuff, get the pre-paid postage boxes. They have a set price and can hold a lot. I'd say sell it on here or ebay since clist tends to limit to your area. If you could come up with a price for all of it, post it that way, someone might want it all. Otherwise break it down into types of materials and sell more valuable stuff individually.

Or just sell it all to me for $10
Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Or just sell it all to me for $10
I'll give you $15

Okay I'M ONLY JOKING!!!! I know we don't do the buy and sell things here, just thought a little levity might be nice!!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:41 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

for pictures use a web hosting site like picasa or such, and you can also post them directly to your account here.
Ebay and this forum is the best way to sell.
I'd be interested to see what you have. i'm alwys on the lookout for additional materails, tho probably not the bulk deal you are thinking of.
Remember,a picture paints 1000 words

E

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The club that I belong to as well as a couple some of other local clubs have their own small expos/fly fishing shows in the winter in conjuction with their annual banquets.
At my club expo there's always at least 2 or 3 guys selling off stuff like you describe
They're the most popular booths at the show.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:13 PM

thanks for the ideas.
I will work on pictures this afternoon, but it might take a while. Do you think people will be honest about what the stuff is worth?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by overefined View Post
thanks for the ideas.
I will work on pictures this afternoon, but it might take a while. Do you think people will be honest about what the stuff is worth?
You should take a look at J Stockard's web site and look over the prices on hooks and tying materials so you have an idea of what they retail for and then you will have a better idea of how to price items, should you piece it out. JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials

Larry

Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 PM

[/COLOR]here is the link to picasa where I have the pictures. I havent had time to photo the hooks yet, maybe tonight or tomorrow. Please take a look and tell me what you think. There is so much stuff it would take me too long to look up all the retail prices. Do you think someone would buy the whole lot?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101168...eat=directlink
Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Depending on what it is there may be people who would consider it. As far as photographing hooks, the stock number will identify them and naming the maker will be a good thing.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by overefined View Post
[/COLOR]here is the link to picasa where I have the pictures. I havent had time to photo the hooks yet, maybe tonight or tomorrow. Please take a look and tell me what you think. There is so much stuff it would take me too long to look up all the retail prices. Do you think someone would buy the whole lot?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1101168...eat=directlink
Wow, that looks like more fly tying material and tools than the average fly shop stocks! You have more capes there than six people could consume in a lifetime. I'm thinking it is going to be pretty difficult to find someone who would want or need all of that unless maybe they are connected to a fly shop or ties commercially. You might consider selling your stuff in groups, like thread, chennile, small groups of capes, fishing hooks, beads etc.

Larry

Closed Thread