The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   materials (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/2023-materials.html)

tbrillinger223 05-21-2007 09:00 PM

materials

I have had it with bass pro shops, every time I go in for materials they dont have anything in stock. :ranting3:

I am looking for a couple local shops in south florida as well as any suppliers on the net. open to ALL suggestions.

thank you for listening to my rant

lryansl 05-21-2007 09:08 PM

Re: materials

Cabelas? Orvis? have you tried any of them.

Sahagan 05-21-2007 10:38 PM

In my neck of the woods, neither Gander Mountain, nor Wal-Mart has anything other than a very few over-priced poppers.

I did find a local sports store that has employed, of all things, a fly fisherman. I was most happy to make his acquaintance, buy some equipment, talk knots and so forth.

Fact is, fly fishermen in these parts are so few, that I don't suppose the bigger stores can make enough money to merit devoting space to them, although with Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain and Wal-Mart, you'd figure they had space aplenty....you have to walk might near a half mile to get from one end of the store to the other.

Sahagan

Frank Whiton 05-22-2007 12:08 PM

I am looking for a couple local shops in south Florida as well as any suppliers on the net. open to ALL suggestions.

We don't know where you are in South Florida so its hard to give a local shop. For the Internet I can highly recommend FeatherCraft. They are knowledge and you can call a 800 number for information. Their fly tying materials are top notch. Their on line catalog is not the greatest but if you have a catalog all the items are listed by order number. If you need help on tying a certain fly or need help picking the right material, ask for Ed. Ed fishes Florida a lot and knows about in-shore fishing.

There are some shops in Orlando but that may be too far North for you. There is Mud Hole if you want to build a rod. They also have fly tying material but I have never ordered from them. They have an interesting catalog.

I did a Google search on "South Florida Fly Shops" and got a bunch of hits. You might try that.

tbrillinger223 05-22-2007 04:24 PM

sorry Frank,

I live in Fort lauderdale.

I have used mudhole on my spinning and baitcasting, havnt attempted a fly rod yet.
there a few quality fly shops around here, LMR, Fort Lauderdale Fly Shop, OL' Florida up in Boca. the only problem with these shops are hours of operation.
they close shop the same time I do. I like about going to a store so I can play feely touchy with the stuff, like hooks, thread, eyes...,etc.

Colorado Cajun 05-23-2007 09:49 AM

Bass Proshop seems to have a better selection on line. I've been in their Denver store and Oklahoma city store and wasn't impressed.

tbrillinger223 05-23-2007 05:00 PM

CC,

I you ever get down in this neck of the woods its all about off shore/inshore. very few specialty shops, I think BPS in Islamarada has a better selection than the one here in Dania. I went to the one in Atlanta and they were even worse. I am just going to have to wait for my materials a couple days longer, and order online.

Colorado Cajun 05-23-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrillinger223 (Post 11491)
CC,

I you ever get down in this neck of the woods its all about off shore/inshore. very few specialty shops, I think BPS in Islamarada has a better selection than the one here in Dania. I went to the one in Atlanta and they were even worse. I am just going to have to wait for my materials a couple days longer, and order online.

Right on! It can be frustrating. I know a lot of folks find a good internet site for materials and stick to that. Good luck!