The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 09:00 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default materials

I have had it with bass pro shops, every time I go in for materials they dont have anything in stock.

I am looking for a couple local shops in south florida as well as any suppliers on the net. open to ALL suggestions.

thank you for listening to my rant
Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 PM

lryansl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: materials

Cabelas? Orvis? have you tried any of them.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Sahagan is on a distinguished road

In my neck of the woods, neither Gander Mountain, nor Wal-Mart has anything other than a very few over-priced poppers.

I did find a local sports store that has employed, of all things, a fly fisherman. I was most happy to make his acquaintance, buy some equipment, talk knots and so forth.

Fact is, fly fishermen in these parts are so few, that I don't suppose the bigger stores can make enough money to merit devoting space to them, although with Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain and Wal-Mart, you'd figure they had space aplenty....you have to walk might near a half mile to get from one end of the store to the other.

Sahagan
Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I am looking for a couple local shops in south Florida as well as any suppliers on the net. open to ALL suggestions.

We don't know where you are in South Florida so its hard to give a local shop. For the Internet I can highly recommend FeatherCraft. They are knowledge and you can call a 800 number for information. Their fly tying materials are top notch. Their on line catalog is not the greatest but if you have a catalog all the items are listed by order number. If you need help on tying a certain fly or need help picking the right material, ask for Ed. Ed fishes Florida a lot and knows about in-shore fishing.

There are some shops in Orlando but that may be too far North for you. There is Mud Hole if you want to build a rod. They also have fly tying material but I have never ordered from them. They have an interesting catalog.

I did a Google search on "South Florida Fly Shops" and got a bunch of hits. You might try that.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:24 PM

sorry Frank,

I live in Fort lauderdale.

I have used mudhole on my spinning and baitcasting, havnt attempted a fly rod yet.
there a few quality fly shops around here, LMR, Fort Lauderdale Fly Shop, OL' Florida up in Boca. the only problem with these shops are hours of operation.
they close shop the same time I do. I like about going to a store so I can play feely touchy with the stuff, like hooks, thread, eyes...,etc.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Bass Proshop seems to have a better selection on line. I've been in their Denver store and Oklahoma city store and wasn't impressed.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-23-2007, 05:00 PM

CC,

I you ever get down in this neck of the woods its all about off shore/inshore. very few specialty shops, I think BPS in Islamarada has a better selection than the one here in Dania. I went to the one in Atlanta and they were even worse. I am just going to have to wait for my materials a couple days longer, and order online.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrillinger223 View Post
CC,

I you ever get down in this neck of the woods its all about off shore/inshore. very few specialty shops, I think BPS in Islamarada has a better selection than the one here in Dania. I went to the one in Atlanta and they were even worse. I am just going to have to wait for my materials a couple days longer, and order online.
Right on! It can be frustrating. I know a lot of folks find a good internet site for materials and stick to that. Good luck!

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*