The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mini-Gurgler for bluegills

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
I tend to try and keep things natural looking and stop at that, otherwise I would just be guessing.... I have had success with some really bright colors, not sure why but they took the fly or lures. I guess that should be good enough.
I have seen books written on the subject but have not yet purchased or read one, maybe someday I should.
thanks!

I agree on the natural color thing, the biggest reason I made the red/white version is that is a popper color combo that has been around forever so I figure it must work.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've had GREAT success on bass and sunfish in the local rivers on an all white version of this gurgler variation. Chartreuse should also work well on stained water.

I add in 3D dome eyes with gel superglue on the sides of the foam over the tie down point.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:58 AM

rvc is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size.

I appreciate all the help I received from this post. I figured it would be polite to show what I made of it all. The hook is a #10 TMC 5262. The tail is EP fibers with a few strands of pearl Krystal Flash. I wrapped on the EP after I attached it to form a kind of underbody. I tried to use the EP as dubbing but it didn't work as well as I hoped it would.

Thanks again for all the help. Criticism, comment, advice, etc. will be appreciated.

RVC
Old 11-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I tie MIni Gurglers on Scud hooks. I tie them in various colors with Orange being a very hot color in more ways than one....
LOCO FOAM! Great stuff. Got some cool patterns on the foam and colors. Oil slick is awesome.
I tie a lot of them in Olive and in the summer during Damsel nymphs, it is a deadly pattern.
This is on a #12 C49S hook

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:30 PM

That's a beautiful fly. Thanks for posting the picture. Busy little thing isn't it?

If you don't mind my asking, what did you use for the dubbing or whatever it is you have used for the leg area? From what I've read about it it would seem the Loco Foam is a little stiffer than the craft foam I am using. Is this the case?

Thanks again.

RVC
Old 11-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

RVC, it is crystal chenille for the body. I use Estaz and regular chenille, but I like flashy chenille. As far as Loco Foam being stiffer, I don't notice any differance.
Thank you!
Old 11-19-2011, 04:33 PM

Thank you.

Rick