The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 AM

rvc is on a distinguished road
Default Mini-Gurgler for bluegills

Good morning. I thought I'd try to make some of these based on the original Gartside Gurgler described on his site using the thin 2mm foam. I've done several searches and have found only pictures of minis that others have for sale. Obviously, then, these are doable. I would like to try a #8 or 10 hook. Would that small a hook work? I currently have on hand some #8 Mustad 3366A, #10 TMC 100 and #10 TMC 5262. Which of these would be best? If none of them, which would you recommend?

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

RVC
Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mini-Gurgler for bluegills

All 3 of those hooks will work. Mustad makes a gold plated version of the 3366, and I've used it a lot. I've been making a foam panfish bug for many years similar to a Gurgler, even down to size 12. I even sold them when I tied commercially.
Very simple, yet effective!

When you get that small just don't over dress them, or they may end up sinking. Although I have used them on a sink tip line, which can work well at times. For the tails, I usually use the fibers from the base of a strung neck or saddle hackle. Something I might cut off when tying larger pattern with the hackle. I hate wasting anything! I'll sometimes add a few strands of flash in the tails too.

The under bodies are small size crystal chenille, or the mini size estaz, and I add some small rubber legs on each side.

I've used both 2 & 3 mm foam, and either will work just fine!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fishingwithflies.com/Pete...PopPopper.html

Old 11-06-2011, 11:32 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I make them using simiseal instead of chenille and marabou, the bluegills love them.

This is one of the first I made, I have it a bit more refined now.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:46 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Here is a pic of one I just tied up this morning on a #10 2XL hook.

It's just a Simi Seal Leach with a gurgler back.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM

rvc is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate the two links and the input in general.

Mudbug's two semiseal flies look like a good way to go, although I'll try the others first. It appears there is only one layer of foam on both of them. Is the foam tied on as one would do for a foam spider? I've seen the John Rohner tutorial for his semiseal leach. Is the semiseal dubbing all there is for the body under the foam or have you thickened it up a bit with something else?

That's a great picture, by the way. Don't think I've seen foam that intensely red.

Thanks again.

RVC
Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvc View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate the two links and the input in general.

Mudbug's two semiseal flies look like a good way to go, although I'll try the others first. It appears there is only one layer of foam on both of them. Is the foam tied on as one would do for a foam spider? I've seen the John Rohner tutorial for his semiseal leach. Is the semiseal dubbing all there is for the body under the foam or have you thickened it up a bit with something else?

That's a great picture, by the way. Don't think I've seen foam that intensely red.

Thanks again.

RVC

If you have seen the simi seal vid then this may make sense to you.

I tie on the tail just like he does.

Then I cut the corners off the back end of the foam, not quite making a point. This is to tie it in at the tail tie in point.

Then I dub in the simi seal for the body.

At the point where I tie off the dubbing I tie in the neck of the foam.

Then pull up the front and build a little dam to hold the lip up.

Cut the foam where it looks good.

The little orange spot is just me experimenting with a way to stiffen up the front lip.

There is nothing under the dubbing, I just didn't pick it out as much as I would if it was a leach. This makes it a thicker body like a chenille body on a standard gurgler. I just pick out enough so it kind of acts like the hackle on a standard gurgler.

BTW, I tied that one on a wet fly hook (heavier wire), this means that it will dive a bit more when popped. I also do them on a dry fly hook so there is more of a top ride when popping it.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Here is another version I have had luck with. I call it a Simi Seal Frogler.

Same as the others, I just use those plastic Damsel eyes in front a tie in two tails.

Again, this is the first one I tied, I have refined it a bit since then.

Just a few nights ago I had a big Bluegill want one of these so bad that I actually heard a giant *Sluuuurp* when he took it.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:07 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Mudbug that's a cool gurglers Have you noticed if color makes a difference with pan fish on something like this? I haven't fished warm waters in many a long years..
Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
Mudbug that's a cool gurgler Have you noticed if color makes a difference with pan fish on something like this? I haven't fished warm waters in many a long years..
Thanks.
Someone here (Maybe Diver Dan?) did a post about the colors that made sense. Something about dark colors on dark days, bright colors on bright days.

I generally tie them in white/red, chartreuse/green, and a dark color like brown, peackock, canadian black/orange (easier to see in low light).

I haven't nailed down when they want what, but they do seem to choose a color.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Someone here (Maybe Diver Dan?) did a post about the colors that made sense. Something about dark colors on dark days, bright colors on bright days.

I generally tie them in white/red, chartreuse/green, and a dark color like brown, peackock, canadian black/orange (easier to see in low light).

I haven't nailed down when they want what, but they do seem to choose a color.
I tend to try and keep things natural looking and stop at that, otherwise I would just be guessing.... I have had success with some really bright colors, not sure why but they took the fly or lures. I guess that should be good enough.
I have seen books written on the subject but have not yet purchased or read one, maybe someday I should.
thanks!