The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tying on hook alternatives.

I have been tying more and more frequently on tubes. I like them a lot. There are heavy tubes, light tubes, cheap tubes, spendy tubes..... well lots of tube choices. They are not the only alternatives to tying on hooks however.

This alternative, the cotter pin, may have come about because some tyers may have decided it was crazy to cut up a perfectly good hook. On some flies like Intruders, there is a trailing hook tied on with super braid. Once the fly is done the bend of the main hook is cut off. In fact now you can buy a hook alternative called a waddington shank so you can tie intruders without cutting up your hook. You can also tie these type of flies on cotter pins. Like with a waddington shank, you tie a trailer hook on with super braid. The thing I liked about cotter pins is that there is a huge size selection. You can get them in various metals as well. Stainless steel and aluminum etc. Flies often tied on cotter pins are the Alaskabou type flies, squidros and intruders. Here is a 'wingless' intruder type fly tied on a cotter pin. I call it the flame thrower.
Click the image to open in full size.

Another hook alternative is a sewing needle. These were apparently started in Scotland by a man named John Grey. These were designed to be a slimmer profile and lighter than you can make them on hooks or tubes. Like tube flies the hook is held in place with a small piece of clear rubber tube. The one I tied here is more elaborate than some I have seen. In many cases they have just a thread bump at the sharp end to hold the tube in place and a wing and throat. The body is just the silver of the needle. This fly is a hairwing silver doctor. The second photo shows how to rig it. I rigged it with to large a hook, but it is just for demonstration purposes only. If I fish it, I will rig it on a more appropriate hook.
You could write a whole book on just tube flies. As long as people have been using fur and feathers to catch fish, they have been using tube type things. Native Americans used small hollow bones and porcupine quills at least as far back as the 1800's. The modern origin of the tube fly started on hollow turkey quills in the 1940's by Winnie Morawski, a commercial tyer. She did this so you could run the line through the fly and then tie on a treble hook. I have personally used spent ink tubes from ball point pens, plastic cotton swabs, and more. I even bought real fly tubes. In fact tube fly components have come a long way in recent times. There are cones, disc heads, colored rubber connector tubes, and all kinds of things now for tube flies. This is a classic Carrie Stevens Streamer called a Black Cat tied on a plastic lined, HMH aluminum tube.
This photo is my prototype ear plug popper tied on a cotton swab tube. A Pike ended up clipping it off. It floated free as it is not actually part of the hook. Had I been in a boat or willing to swim for it I could have recovered it. Had it been tied on a hook it would have been completely unrecoverable.
If you have tied some flies on hook alternatives, let's share them here.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Tying on hook alternatives.

an alternative to waddingtons/cotterpins are the Articulated Shanks from flymen fishing company. They fit in the price bracket between cotter pins and waddingtons.
The great thing with these are the loops at either end are perpendicular so you get the trailing hook in the correct orientation all the time. Particularly effective if you are using heavy heads, so you can have the hook point always ride up to help reduce snagging on rocks etc.
This sculpin pattern is tied on the Articulated Shanks with a hook literally attached to the shank through the eye.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Nice fly. How do you like the Fish Skulls?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:11 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Fish skulls are great. Very easy to use. Haven't fished with them yet though, so cant comment on casting, but i'd say they are more amenable to spey casting than fine and delicate presentations.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-10-2011, 02:25 PM

flytyer123 will become famous soon enoughflytyer123 will become famous soon enough

I've never used tubes or waddington shanks for my flys ive been tying for a long time do you have to have a tube fly vice to tie on a tube?

tight lines
Austin
Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer123 View Post
do you have to have a tube fly vice to tie on a tube?

tight lines
Austin
Actually no. I put the clear rubber connector tube on the main tube. I then just take a piece of wire for making Musky lures with a little L bent in the end through the tube. I put enough pressure with the wire and the jaws of the vice to hold the tube in place without spinning. One of these days I'll break down and buy a tube vice, but this works pretty well, and it was essentially free. I'll post a picture of it later.