The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 05:40 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymph Tie-Along?

Pic of materials needed for the first pattern; the PTN, and a little more detail coming in the next couple of days.

Pocono
Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Just a little recommendation especially for the beginning tiers. When you tie a pattern, tie several (half a dozen at least) of them. With the patterns Pocono (and others) have chosen for this tie-along, your gonna want a half dozen in your fly box anyway.

One of the best ways to get proficient at tying, techniques, proportion, etc is to tie a lot of flies, and you may find yourself amazed at how much better you have gotten as you tie that fourth, fifth or sixth fly.

One of the things that helped me a ton when I first started tying was getting into the fly swaps where you had to tie 12 of your chosen pattern. I often ended up keeping the first couple for me or stripping and reusing the hook, but found that once I got a couple under my belt I could tie them both faster and they looked better.

Dave
Old 11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I saw on another forum a neat idea. I think a few here go to this other one. They have or had (been awhile since I looked) a fly tie along which is what this is. Pick a night to tie "YOUR" version of said fly. Take a picture half way done and one of the done. List the ingredients too.
I think that could be fun.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Just a little recommendation especially for the beginning tiers. When you tie a pattern, tie several (half a dozen at least) of them. With the patterns Pocono (and others) have chosen for this tie-along, your gonna want a half dozen in your fly box anyway.

Dave
Absolutely right, Dave. I'll take it a step further and recommend tying the first of 6 (or until you get comfortable) in size #12, then switch down to a #14 and do another batch. I always find it helpful to tie smaller flies after I "warm up" on one hook size bigger.

I know that when I was starting the tendency to try different flies was always very strong because I just wanted to make everything. But you'll learn that tying efficiently means getting the materials out for one pattern and then getting into a "production" mode, even if it's just 6-8 flies, it makes a big difference. I never tie less than 6 of a pattern in a particular size when I get set up, it just makes it so much easier...and when you get into a zone, a good groove it gets really fun. And you can't have enough PT or Hare's Ear nymphs, just keep going smaller!

...I think I'm going to head down to my vice...get started on that winged wet swap...
Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 AM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough

I am getting super stoked for this tie along. I think all of my material and my tools will be here just in time. I should even have my workstation built by then as well.

Jimbo
Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Great points that webrx and and dean_mt make about repetition in tying up patterns and about starting with larger hooks before moving to smaller ones.

Here's a little anecdote for you on the first point.

The person who first taught me to tie was Stanley Cooper, Jr., an ex-Abercrombie & Fitch tyer. I was part of a Saturday morning beginners program sponsored by my local Fly Shop and Stan was te instructor. Being frustrated as a beginner, I asked him one day how long it would take me to get better at tying up patterns. He smiled at me with one of those ".....well, that depends on you...." looks, then said: I don't think I ever really feel like I know how to tie up a pattern until I've done a dozen dozen". Yup; almost 150 flies!

Now Stan used to talk in terms of a dozen every time he mentioned flies and at about 1 fly every 5 minutes, I guess he could do that pretty easily; since he'd be all done in about an hour.

I don't take it anywhere near that far; of course I'll never even approach the way that Stan, even at 86 years, ties up patterns, but I do think that tying up a dozen of a given pattern is a good idea. This is one of the reasons that the Fly Swaps that Mark organizes are so important to everyone who wants to enjoy fly tying; you get your dozen done.

That might seem like a lot of flies at the start but you're going to easily use them up in a season anyway and you'll be amazed at the difference between your first fly and your twelfth. Whereas you'll probably fish your first one, you might want to frame your twelfth one.

Pocono

---------- Post added at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I saw on another forum a neat idea. I think a few here go to this other one. They have or had (been awhile since I looked) a fly tie along which is what this is. Pick a night to tie "YOUR" version of said fly. Take a picture half way done and one of the done. List the ingredients too.
I think that could be fun.
I like that idea. I hope that everyone will feel free to tie up each of these patterns the way that you want to; as Joni says, your version of the fly. And if anyone wants to do their own SBS on their version, then that would be even better. The more variation we get in these patterns the more interesting it will be for everyone and the more we'll all learn.

I'm going to be tying up these pattern using sort of a "plain vanilla" approach. But the goal of this Tie-Along is not duplication, it's getting you to tie up these nymphs the way that you think they'll fish best, experimenting around a little, and, most important, having fun!

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 11-22-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Pheasant Tail Nymph Materials

Well, they say that a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a pic of the materials that you'll need to tie up the Pheasant Tail Nymph (PTN) pattern.

It's pretty straightforward.

Click the image to open in full size.

[Click on the pic if you want to see an enlarged version.]

I've pictured the hook that I plan to use; a Daiichi 1560 nymph hook, in 4 different sizes. I plan to tie on the #12s because it's easier to see the individual steps in an SBS when the pattern is tied on a larger hook, but it's a great pattern all the way down to a #18 or a #20.

Part of the beauty of this pattern is that the tail, the abdomen, the legs and the shellback are all made from the same material; pheasant tail.

The thorax is peacock herl. I've shown strung herl in the pic, but I prefer to use herl that's still on the feather, since you usually get better herl that way and you can pick the herl size that works best for both the hook and the pattern.

The rib is counter-wound copper wire. I use UTC small wire. In some places the pattern is tied with a copper wire thorax, instead of the peacock herl. I think that this is particularly true across the pond, so maybe one of our UK tie-along members could show us what this pattern looks like tied up that way.

I tie the pattern with weight added to the hook. But, that's strictly optional and is not a necessary ingredient in the basic PTN pattern.

I'm using Danville Flymaster 6/0 brown thread, but the choice of thread is up to you.

I'm not going to tie this pattern as a beadhead, but if someone wants to show us what it looks like with a beadhead, then that would be great. Frankly the beadhead version probably outsells the basic pattern by at least 2:1; maybe 10:1

I'll start the PTN SBS before December 1st, because I know that a lot of you are ready to start tying now. It'll probably be right after the Thanksgiving Day holiday.

After that, you can all start posting and dicsussing your tyes and we'll see what kind of variety is possible with this very basic, but very effective, pattern that comes to us from Frank Sawyer, who fished the Wiltshire Avon in the UK and who wrote the book: "Nymphs and the Trout", in 1958.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 11-23-2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Thanks for the info Allan.

Rick
Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Have 4 fresh pheasants in the fridge. I'll dress on tonight just for the tie-a-long
Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is so cool, fresh pheasant. I have to wait for my brother in-law.
Ya know, i have bought all these different color PT. purple, orange, red, blue, yellow although not real happy with the store bought yellow.
Tie a PT in a size 18 or 20 in red and hang on!
Don't forget pearl mylar for flash backs.