The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 06:47 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Question Hook size

I have a few loose hooks but have no idea as to there size. Is there a printed chart available to help determine sizes.
Thanks Seajay
Old 11-14-2011, 08:19 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hook size

Try googling "Hook Size Chart". However, you also have to deal with size differences between brands :/ Just use a hook that you know the size of to check the scale of the chart.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

While these charts relate to salmon fly hooks, they are instructive in that you can see the incredible variation among manufacturers relative to stated hook size:
The River's Course: Salmon Fly Hooks...or when is a 10 an 8?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

SeaJay what kind (make and model) of hooks do you have?

I have a few different SW hooks from Mustad 34007 and 3407DT (these have a standard shank), Eagle Claw 254 a short shanked hook) and Owner Aki (another short shank hook) etc and can take measurements if you need it.

Otherwise the last page of this pdf might help... (look at the O'Shaughnessy Spinnerbait hooks size 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0 with the same bend as many SW hooks)
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content...zing_chart.pdf
Old 11-19-2011, 01:09 PM

Mark these are small thin wire hooks for trout flies. Is there a shank measurement to go by? I am guessing these are a #10 or 12.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

What hook brand/model?

There's really no standard between manufacturers- and hooks can be standard length or have a 1 xl or 2 xl long shank, But i bet there are folks on the forum with the same hooks that could give you measurements.

I use a Griffin Hook and Hackle Gauge (about $5 or 6) that attaches to the stem of vise, in the middle of the pic below (surrounded by hackle different types of hackle pliers)
Click the image to open in full size.

It works great for the old school Mustad hooks, you can compare a hook bend to the pic and get the size for loose hooks that show up around the vise from time to time. But for some of the newer hooks which are now very popular and have a wider than standard gap (like Tiemco 100's ) the gauge is a bit off.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:38 PM

Mark, I do not know the brand/model. I have some TMC hooks coming for the Nymph tie. I will use those as a comparison. I will have to get a Griffin Hook and Hackle Gauge.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:51 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Seajay

I wouldn't spend so much time worrying about that jumble of hooks, trying to sort them and repackaging. Mail them to me and order some new ones...

Are you anywhere near a fly shop? If so they should not mind one bit if you take them some examples for identification.

Dave