The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 AM

jpd5184 is on a distinguished road
Default taking picture of flies

just wondering how everybody get these great close up shots of their flies. Do you have a special kind of camera or do you just use a bigger hook.

I have a pretty good digital camera not sure if that will work.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:29 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: taking picture of flies

I usually take a distant picture to get good resolution, then crop it down. If you take it too close with a low megapixel camera, the chances are it will be out of focus or low res.
My cameras are 4 and 6 MP, and the pics i take come out pretty clear.

Takes a little bit of time to edit the pics but worth it in the end i think

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

This is a size 10 fly, taken from about 5 inches away, with my old Kodak digital, all of 5 megapixels, in natural light in my shop, no shutter release, etc., using the "flower" setting on the dial. I suspect, as S. Fontinalis suggests, that I cropped the original down to this size.
Click the image to open in full size.

I'd strongly suggest using the search function here; there are gobs of information along the lines of what you're looking for, some very recent, by FAR better photographers than I.
Gary
Old 11-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Search Tob1's posts he gave a lot of advice about taking fly pics.I use my little Coolpics and it works...not masterpieces but good enough to post on the forum
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote an article on how to get decent photos of flies using an old styrofoam drink cup and a pocket camera.

http://www.wrvtu.org/newsletter/PDF/newsletter3-4.pdf

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's an interesting approach for sure Silver, but I just put the camera on the tripod and set white balance for incandescent light source. I use a very affordable jewelers lamp with a spot bulb in it for tying and I focus that 40 watt light on the fly and take the picture. I do use a macro lens 50 mm 1:1 and the pictures are OK.

Note to original poster: what camera do you have and have you ever visited this thread > The Photography Chat Thread; Many of the photo types who are members here post questions and answers there. We are pretty well covering the spectrum from Macro to Landscapes, tripod preferences, and lens's to various software editing tools. It is becoming a good source for information as it grows.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Macro settings on your P&S and a Macro lens on your SLR. I just sold a macro lens though so no super close ones for me now haha. However, You can get by without them. White background is nice to have, i use an external flash with mine as well

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-16-2011, 05:00 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

GT,How far away are you placing the camera?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I must be lucky 'cuz I'm doing everything wrong. Wrong background, wrong lighting, little to no cropping and an old 3.2MP camera.
I simply use any available light that makes the fly look good, fill the frame the best I can and then hold the camera as still as possible. It does help to use spot metering and spot, automatic focussing in macro mode.
I hold the camera as close as I can without blocking the light. Sometimes that is just a couple inches.

Last edited by Jackster; 11-16-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pics and flies, Jackster.

I use the Super Macro mode with timer on a tripod-mounted point and shoot camera and can put the fly right on the lens if I want to. I usually shoot at 1-5" from the subject and use natural light.

Pocono