The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 AM

Zman3382 is on a distinguished road
Default Tying on a hook with a down eye

Any tips / tricks for tying on a hook with a down eye? Specifically keeping the thread from slipping down off the eye (losing wraps) when you're tying close to it. I feel like there should be some little things to keep in mind to make this easier. I realize this could be as simple as perhaps don't tie so close to the eye.. but the downward bend of say a scud hook has a similar effect even well back from the eye. Any thoughts appreciated.. getting a bit frustrated this AM. cheers! - Zack
Old 11-19-2011, 08:18 AM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tying on a hook with a down eye

Zack,

Good morning. Hopefully I can provide a little bit of insight for you. For the most part you answered your own question. Do not crowd the eye. This is the best way to stay out of trouble when winding the thread and it helps in keeping the eye open for your tippet. As far as scud hooks go, I always position the hook in the vice so that the eye is not in such a downward position while tying. Try this and see how it works for you.

-Forrest
Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman3382 View Post
Any tips / tricks for tying on a hook with a down eye? Specifically keeping the thread from slipping down off the eye (losing wraps) when you're tying close to it. I feel like there should be some little things to keep in mind to make this easier. I realize this could be as simple as perhaps don't tie so close to the eye.. but the downward bend of say a scud hook has a similar effect even well back from the eye. Any thoughts appreciated.. getting a bit frustrated this AM. cheers! - Zack
For the scud hook i usually orientate it that the part close to the eye is horizontal. You can do this right at the start, when you begin tying the fly, or you can do it when you are close to they eye and almost finished with the fly.

With time you'll find that you master the tying round the eye and you dont even notice that is on a downward plane.

Good luck

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-19-2011, 09:14 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Are you using thread that's too big for the hook size? That could cause you to more easily slide off the hook eye.

Also, anytime I have the thread up close to the eye and I need to wrap material (wire, peacock herl, hackle, etc.) I throw a half-hitch on before draping the bobbin over the bobbin holder. This also prevents the thread from sliding off, and clears space to make wrapping a little easier.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:14 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Tying on a hook with a down eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by notenuftoys View Post
. . . Anytime I have the thread up close to the eye and I need to wrap material (wire, peacock herl, hackle, etc.) I throw a half-hitch on before draping the bobbin over the bobbin holder. This also prevents the thread from sliding off, and clears space to make wrapping a little easier.
Like Notenuftoys said.