The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 12:55 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about
Default I think I ruined my head cement

I notice that the cement is getting thicker because it is not soaking into the thread wraps. I opened the bottle 3 - 4 months ago and it's about half full. (tried not to say half empty ).

I find it hard to believe that between my son and I, that we use so much already. I figured evaperation must have happened to it.

I had one of my bright ideas today, I also learned not to add mineral spirits to head cement to thin it. I didn't add that much to it really. Maybe a quarter of an eye dropper. It seem to thin it down enough.

Now the cement is drying milky, not clear. I am buying more tomorrow.

I don't suppose anyone has a fix for this... Or what to do to in the future??

Dave
Old 11-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I ruined my head cement

I use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. It always starts to get thick by the bottom. I have three bottles going at all times. A new one that's really thin, a half or less bottle that's thicker, and a thick one. I don't use the real thick one much, but there are things I need the #2 bottle for pretty often. When the thin bottle gets thicker I rotate them down the list one and toss #3 in the trash. I gave up on trying to thin them or make it all the way to the bottom. If there's a trick to revive them I have no idea what it would be.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:54 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

You can use the head cement thinner that goes with whatever brand head cement you purchased. At my local fly shop the thinner is a little more than half the cost of the cement:

Fly Rite Cement: $4.50
Fly Rite Thinner: $2.75
Old 11-25-2011, 09:45 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Toulene or xylene for thinner will stay clear...I use these to make all my cements hard or flex...there are other ones but these 2 are still the best..I keep a 2 oz. bottle at my tying desk to use with the eye dropper...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I've also heard a bit of nail polish remover works a treat. Also use Sally Hanson (Lord you have a range of colours to choose from ... try the sparkly one too). Bottle lasts forever and cheap as chips all things considered.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

For cellulose based thinners (the traditional head cements that smell like nail polish) you can use plain old lacquer thinner from a hardware store (I use it on Sally Hansens's Hard as Nails too).

For water based stuff from Loon and others you can use rubbing alcohol (because it's clear, you can also use vodka if it's an emergency...)
Old 11-25-2011, 12:25 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post

For water based stuff from Loon and others you can use rubbing alcohol (because it's clear, you can also use vodka if it's an emergency...)
Now that's one of the most origianal things I've read in ages. Too Cool!
Old 11-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
For cellulose based thinners (the traditional head cements that smell like nail polish) you can use plain old lacquer thinner from a hardware store (I use it on Sally Hansens's Hard as Nails too).
Ditto's to Mark, I have a 1 Qt. can in the garage and keep a small bottle (4 oz.) on the bench.

Even if you use the correct reducer remember this, stir the reducer into the cement. Don't give into the urge to put some in, cap it, and then shake the cement. This results in a million tiny air bubbles some of which linger for days. These almost microscopic bubbles will create a very strange effect when the cement dries.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;