The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:36 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about
Default Question about goose biots

I am following Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying (great book highly recommend it) and I am on the copper john and the prince nymph and Ive been Having problems working with goose biots. My problem is when I tie in the biots they do not stay opposed in other words the two biots stay together even though when they were in my hand i had them opposed. I put the opposed biots about a quarter turn on the near side of the hook to account for thread torque. How can I keep the biots opposed they just don't look right the way i have them now. Pictures upon request.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Question about goose biots

Tow suggestions; after they are attached split them with your dubbing needle or similar, then make a single figure 8 wrap between them, this should splay them for you. Number 2: tie them on individually, I am presuming you are using fine enough thread to allow for an extra wrap here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-27-2011, 03:54 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Or number three; Put them together in the shape you want using some holding tweezers, then put a dab of head cement where they cross each other and put aside to dry for a minute. You can do this before you mount the hook in the vise and by the time you're ready to tie in the tail in will be dry.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I like that tip from bruce m.
Some days I can tie both on together like Charlie Craven, but to make them look good and splay right I usually have to do them separately.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:26 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I usually build a small thread ball and tie them in directly behind it on the eye of the 'hook' side, that way, when the thread is tight behind them the thread ball helps them splay more.
I also tie them in at an angle pointing up.

If you look at the first picture in this step by step i did, even though it is out of focus, you can still the the thread ball a the back of the hook. In the second to last picture you can see how the biots are splayed

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-27-2011, 10:38 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

+1 on the thread ball trick.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
I usually build a small thread ball and tie them in directly behind it on the eye of the 'hook' side, that way, when the thread is tight behind them the thread ball helps them splay more.
I also tie them in at an angle pointing up.

If you look at the first picture in this step by step i did, even though it is out of focus, you can still the the thread ball a the back of the hook. In the second to last picture you can see how the biots are splayed
That's exactly how i do it. Ard's fig.8 would work too. I do the splayed claws in my Crayfish Ard's way.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:16 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

You can also take one loose loop over them, then push down on them at the tie-in point with your thumbnail to split them and pull the thread tight, followed by another wrap.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I cross my biots when I tie them down on the top of the hook with a couple loose wraps and then cinch it down and they splay perfectly fine.