The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM
swirlchaser's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,058
swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Nice Swirl -- that's what happens when you combine extra large cups of coffee and Red Bull at work-- productivity goes way up.

Thanks. When I wake up at 4:30AM and fish the surf for 2 hours before work Red Bull and extra large coffee is the only way to get by!

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
theo nly trouble is i dont have polar fiber epoxy or softex but i have been making lots of buck tail deveivers and dna versions of them
I use Goop, it's a little thick but works well and you can buy it pretty much anywhere.
__________________
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,019
peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

DNA Fiber or DNA Holofusion (a mix of DNA Flash and DNA Fiber) would work too as a substitute for Polar Fiber if you want to try tying some down the road.

Bucktail deceivers are a great choice too.
__________________
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Rip Tide's Avatar
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: quiet corner, ct
Posts: 5,392
Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I use Goop, it's a little thick but works well and you can buy it pretty much anywhere.
You can thin Goop but it's almost more trouble than it's worth to do it.
Silicone works better. Just squirt it where you need it to go, wet your fingers real good and shape it
__________________
The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2011, 03:25 PM
swirlchaser's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,058
swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You can thin Goop but it's almost more trouble than it's worth to do it.
Silicone works better. Just squirt it where you need it to go, wet your fingers real good and shape it
But Goop gives off better fumes...
__________________
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2011, 05:36 PM
grassonfly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: south florida
Posts: 778
grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

i really like polar fiber minnow but dna doesnt move like polar fiber anyways whats a good epoxy that i can buy at walmart ive been really wanting to get epoxy of some kind
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
swirlchaser's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,058
swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i really like polar fiber minnow but dna doesnt move like polar fiber anyways whats a good epoxy that i can buy at walmart ive been really wanting to get epoxy of some kind
DevCon comes to mind, but most of the 2 part epoxies will work. Some will yellow more than others but my flies rarely survive long enough for me to notice. I would use the 24hr cure stuff until you get the hang of it.
__________________
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM
grassonfly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: south florida
Posts: 778
grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

i have hardener around my house but what do i use as the catalyst?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2011, 06:06 PM
swirlchaser's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,058
swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

I normally buy both parts together. They come in a syringe, easy to measure and they don't dry out.
__________________
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,019
peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

I use the Devcon 5 minute epoxy, putting about a dime size blob of each part and mixing them if you have 2 tubes, or a blob about the size of a nickel if you're using the stuff in a syringe type plunger. You will need to turn the fly by hand if you don't have a rotary turner so the stuff doesn't sag, at least until it sets up. There are a bunch of different ways you can make you're own inexpensive rotary turner-- i just use an electric rotisserie motor, and run the spit through the large holes made for handles on a milk crate. This hold everything while a chunk of styrofoam speared by the spit turns and flies are stuck in the styrofoam. Other folks have used disco ball motors, motors from microwave oven that rotate the platter etc.

Eventually, if you do a lot of these types of flies you'll probably want to look into a light cured resin like Tuffleye, Clear Cure Goo or Bug Bond. Each type requires a special flashlight with a specific wavelength of light. The advantage is that the resin sets up nearly instantly once zapped with the light, so no turning is required or long dry time, and the resin is said to be less toxic than epoxy.

The cost put me off for a while -- the cost of resin isn't too bad but adding in the cost of special flashlight can bring it to $40-70 for one of these kits to get started, but once I started using it I'm now convinced. And, for what it's worth, the cost of a light cured resin kit with special flash light is usually less than the cost of a store bought epoxy fly turner from a fly shop or big box store.
__________________
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2011, 02:13 PM
swirlchaser's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,058
swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weightless synthetic flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
I use the Devcon 5 minute epoxy, putting about a dime size blob of each part and mixing them if you have 2 tubes, or a blob about the size of a nickel if you're using the stuff in a syringe type plunger. You will need to turn the fly by hand if you don't have a rotary turner so the stuff doesn't sag, at least until it sets up. There are a bunch of different ways you can make you're own inexpensive rotary turner-- i just use an electric rotisserie motor, and run the spit through the large holes made for handles on a milk crate. This hold everything while a chunk of styrofoam speared by the spit turns and flies are stuck in the styrofoam. Other folks have used disco ball motors, motors from microwave oven that rotate the platter etc.

Eventually, if you do a lot of these types of flies you'll probably want to look into a light cured resin like Tuffleye, Clear Cure Goo or Bug Bond. Each type requires a special flashlight with a specific wavelength of light. The advantage is that the resin sets up nearly instantly once zapped with the light, so no turning is required or long dry time, and the resin is said to be less toxic than epoxy.

The cost put me off for a while -- the cost of resin isn't too bad but adding in the cost of special flashlight can bring it to $40-70 for one of these kits to get started, but once I started using it I'm now convinced. And, for what it's worth, the cost of a light cured resin kit with special flash light is usually less than the cost of a store bought epoxy fly turner from a fly shop or big box store.
I've yet to go that route for the same reason you put it off, the expense. I build rods so a turner and epoxy are always laying around. Maybe at the Sommerset fly Expo this year I'll talk myself into a UV setup. Which ones have you tried? Are they all pretty much the same?
-Marco
__________________
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fly-Fishing Line Synthetic Silk Ebay USA Lines 0 08-30-2011 12:40 AM
Fly-Fishing Line Synthetic Silk Ebay USA Lines 0 08-29-2011 10:40 PM
Fly fishing for bass with a weightless plastic worm elsewhere Warmwater Fly Fishing 12 09-03-2009 12:57 AM
Fishing tiny, weightless lures has a long history in fresh water, but it has only bec Fish Bones The Daily Papers 0 02-28-2009 07:30 PM
Synthetic Dubbing streamcaddis General Discussion 6 02-20-2008 10:48 PM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.