The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 04:10 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly durability...

Why is it the simplest fly, the one that falls apart the quickest?

Am I doing something wrong? Poor material selection?

My San Juan worms never seem to want to stay together very long. After a few fish and casts, the chenille wants to "unwind" or come off the core.

Does anybody else have this problem? I'm using all different brands and colors, but they never seem to be as durable as other flys in my arsenal.

Good thing they are an easy and quick tie since they tend to fall apart much quicker! But is sure is a pain in the butt having to tie on another fly after only a few fish!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:18 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Fly durability...

quick tip for sealing the end of San Juan Chenille is to lightly burn the end of the material. This has a dual effect, binds the chenille, and creates the look of the head of a worm/maggot with darker material.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
quick tip for sealing the end of San Juan Chenille is to lightly burn the end of the material.
If you're not doing this already, then it will help, but fact is, chenille is not a very durable material for this purpose. But, it's what most folks use, because it seems to have the best action. Using "ultra" type chenilles, which are denser than regular chenille helps too.

Chenilles are fine for wrapping bodies, like on Woolly Buggers, but for free form purposes, they don't hold up well.

I've even tried to add some twist to the chenille, twisting it more tightly in my fingers, then adding a drop of super glue gel near where I want the end to be, then once the glue dries cutting off the excess. This helps too, but they still come unraveled, and you don't get the same affect as the burning.

You can double the chenille & twist it over itself, but that makes a larger diameter worm, not well suited for smaller size hooks. The only other way to make worms more durable, without adding a lot of bulk, is to use another material for the extended section, like chamois and color it with permanent markers. Unfortunately, you won't likely get the color as nice as what you get with chenille!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

x2 for what others said. But if you're catching fish, burning through some easy to tie flies isn't too bad a price to pay
Old 11-29-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
quick tip for sealing the end of San Juan Chenille is to lightly burn the end of the material. This has a dual effect, binds the chenille, and creates the look of the head of a worm/maggot with darker material.
Yep, doing that already, it just seems to fall apart at where it's tied to the hook.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:25 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse304 View Post
Yep, doing that already, it just seems to fall apart at where it's tied to the hook.
Is it possible that the thread is to fine or your wrapping it too tite and cutting the chenille?

Dave
Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Is it possible that the thread is to fine or your wrapping it too tite and cutting the chenille?

Dave
Maybe...but I thought you could never wrap it too tight? Considering I'm fastening it to the hook, I thought tighter is better...I guess I could try some with a little less pressure.

I'm using a 140 and a 70 thread for mine. The 70 is for my micros that are tied to a size 18.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

What about laying down an even thread base and placing a thin coat of Flexament or silicone on it, then placing the chenille on top of that and letting it dry a bit before tying it down?