The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 AM

jimbojo will become famous soon enoughjimbojo will become famous soon enough
Default head cement

I have read that clear nail polish works great as a laquer or head cement, what are you guys using?

Jimbo
Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: head cement

Jimbo, I think most people use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. I took the easy way out and just bought some from Orvis as an impulse buy, but I may be transitioning over to the Hard as Nails soon enough.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 AM

Cool, I think that and some non leaded - lead wire is about all I need to finally give my first PT a try.

Jimbo
Old 12-02-2011, 01:07 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I tried to pick up some smaller lead/nonlead wire at Orvis but they were out of the size I needed. My PTs have been chubby as a result. Hopefully the fish target the chubby ones, its more potential meat for effort!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 AM

I'll have to see whats available at our local Sportsmans Warehouse, but hey with the size of some of the fish you've caught lately fat is probablu ok.

Jimbo
Old 12-02-2011, 06:33 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I use both.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:32 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Definately not one of the folks that use any sort of nail polish on my heads. Cellire Clear Varnish only. Excellent thread penetration. Three coats, perfect finish.
Gary
Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I use Hard as Nails. It's a little on the thick side so I apply it to the thread right before I whip finish. I think it penatrates because the thread pushes it down into the wrap and it doesn't get all over the hackle.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Jimbo, I think most people use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. I took the easy way out and just bought some from Orvis as an impulse buy, but I may be transitioning over to the Hard as Nails soon enough.
People use the Sally Hansen's because that's what everyone else uses. There's not a lot of difference between brands. All will work. The stuff I have now is called Lacura but I've used Revlon and a couple of others..... whatever I find on sale at the discount store.
Sometimes I'll use varnish or thinned Goop, but I'm much more likely to use Krazy Glue brand CA. That's the stuff i go through the most.
I haven't bought official head cement in 25 years
Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 AM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

I'm a fan of SHHAN. I trimmed the brush down a bit so I can better pinpoint the application. I got tired of my head cement drying up on me. I've had the same bottle of SHHAN for almost a year, and I'd say I still have half of it, and it's still usable.
Stan