The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: So here it is; not Merry Christmas, my JOCK SCOTT.

Thanks for the feedback Ard.

hopefully i'll have the JS2.0 done next weekend

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great job....I wish I could tie such beautiful flies....amazing if it's your first attempt
Old 12-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm commenting again for 2 reasons the first of which is to bump this thread back to the top of the bulletin board so the work gets more views. Secondly I would like to say once more how well this fly has turned out. Congratulations on your effort Eunan and you can expect more encouragement from my corner. Although following the examples and rules laid out for fly tying is more helpful than not doing so, I see a genuine natural talent for this type of dressing in your work. When it comes to making flies such as this we live in a world of cookie cutter perfection where it is quite hard to stand out with ones own creativity. I believe that some tiers develop a style that leaves their flies with an appearance that identifies their work. When I look back on my earliest Atlantic Salmon ties I see that the tying has not changed much over all the years. Of course my tying can be critiqued and by no means do they meet with the rules of perfection. However, for some the time and effort put into such work is a very personal thing and therefore unless I see something in another persons attempts that is just making the tying harder for them I will tend to approve of the finished fly. My own flies do not measure up to the bar of perfection except when I catch fish using them, but I have become comfortable with my style of tying. I think your first fly demonstrates your style and I hope you continue to follow whatever calling it was that helped you to do this and most of all, enjoy your own work and not to rely too heavily on the approval of the fly tying world at large.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'm commenting again for 2 reasons the first of which is to bump this thread back to the top of the bulletin board so the work gets more views. Secondly I would like to say once more how well this fly has turned out. Congratulations on your effort Eunan and you can expect more encouragement from my corner. Although following the examples and rules laid out for fly tying is more helpful than not doing so, I see a genuine natural talent for this type of dressing in your work. When it comes to making flies such as this we live in a world of cookie cutter perfection where it is quite hard to stand out with ones own creativity. I believe that some tiers develop a style that leaves their flies with an appearance that identifies their work. When I look back on my earliest Atlantic Salmon ties I see that the tying has not changed much over all the years. Of course my tying can be critiqued and by no means do they meet with the rules of perfection. However, for some the time and effort put into such work is a very personal thing and therefore unless I see something in another persons attempts that is just making the tying harder for them I will tend to approve of the finished fly. My own flies do not measure up to the bar of perfection except when I catch fish using them, but I have become comfortable with my style of tying. I think your first fly demonstrates your style and I hope you continue to follow whatever calling it was that helped you to do this and most of all, enjoy your own work and not to rely too heavily on the approval of the fly tying world at large.
Thanks Ard.
i posted this fly on no less than 5 forums in order to get more feedback and critique to help me improve the fly and my skills. I already feel confident JS2.0 will be much improved, and i'm really looking forward to tying it.
I've received many pointers as to what i can improve and change, and i'm grateful to all who have contributed. I know my fly is very rudimentary in build, and that is what drives me to tie more; improvement of the fly and not acceptance in the right circles. No matter how good (or bad) future flies appear, i will know i have enjoyed tying them.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-06-2011, 03:14 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Great remarks Ard, and very true! My biggest brown to date was caught on one of Eunan's flies, and the Jock Scott is one heck of a work of art! If I had that fly, it'd be in a frame, not on the end of a line, unless maybe I forgot my fly boxes...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-06-2011, 05:36 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

First, a hearty congratulations on a job well done. Following the comments on the thread has been quite interesting, lots of good feedback and critique and your replies indicate you "totally get it" when it comes to absorbing what folks are saying.

NOW... the shock for me?

"Time at the vice was approx 3.5 hours, between feeding a baby and entertaining
the other half and her sister. I'd say total time tying was bout 2hrs 45 mins with
interruptions deducted."

I've been tying since Hector was a Pup and while most of my work is trout, steelhead, (including married wing patterns) warmwater and a little salt INCLUDING some dabbling in full dress Salmon Flies.... when I decided to tie a selection for my Brother a few years ago (and I had all the materials) I set aside 8-10 hours per fly and found out that I underestimated, with 3 of them having to be razor-bladed off the hooks and started over.

Feeding a baby? Entertaining? A hearty bravo, indeed!!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:17 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

As a used-to-be/sometimes artist, fly tyer of 15 years, and general admirer of craftsmanship - a hearty congratulations on a beautiful job well done. While I've always admired full dressed salmon flies (who doesn't?) I have never even considered the undertaking so I cannot advise you at all on fly itself, all I'll say - what I say to all artist with the drive, passion and talent to do it - keep it up, man!

I look forward to JS2.o!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Awesome fly. You did a killer job on your first full dress!