The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 10:13 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Jungle Cock, imitation or replacement

What are your favorite Jungle Cock imitations, or is there something to use as a replacement? I am not tying anything fancy, well not fully dressed salmon flies, I just want to tie up some Hornbergs for a swap and myself.

Aside from the classic look the feather gives to the fly, I think the "eye" is an important trigger.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Jungle Cock, imitation or replacement

I saw some cheap foil-esque type imitation nails one time, don't know how they would work though. I have seen a lot of the paper ones.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
I saw some cheap foil-esque type imitation nails one time, don't know how they would work though. I have seen a lot of the paper ones.
Yeah...not really looking for cheap "foil-esque", though I admit I'm not sure what that means!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The picture is not wonderful but the effect should do. The feather used instead of a JC nail is a golden pheasant tippet. I coated them with 'Feathertough' and slicked them out as you see them here. It sorta looks like JC and because the eathertough is flexible they are not brittle.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-19-2011, 11:32 PM

That looks cool, Ard, and easy. I can do that. I knew someone had a good idea. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

No problemo, if you ever want to try Feathertough this is where I got it; cascadecrest.com I have had a bottle for about 15 years. I don't see it listed but if you drop them an e-mail my bet is they will fix you up. I was turned on to it as a product that would keep mallard quill slips from splitting on dry fly patterns like Ginger Quill and Blue Quill. I used it to coat all my mallard primary feathers and they then made great wings for dries without splitting.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-20-2011, 08:54 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Thats pretty cool Ard, I'll have to try that. Another "replacement" I use are those red tipped feathers on a Lady Amherst skin. They're down the back and you only get a few decent full tips but on smaller patterns you can seperat the barbs and if you give them a lick and set them on something flat it'll dry all stuck together and tie in alot easier. I'll add they don't realy stay that way once fished but they look good in the water.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
No problemo, if you ever want to try Feathertough this is where I got it; cascadecrest.com I have had a bottle for about 15 years. I don't see it listed but if you drop them an e-mail my bet is they will fix you up. I was turned on to it as a product that would keep mallard quill slips from splitting on dry fly patterns like Ginger Quill and Blue Quill. I used it to coat all my mallard primary feathers and they then made great wings for dries without splitting.

Ard
Ard: They still offer Feathertough, it is on this page: http://www.cascadecrest.com/index.ph...emart&Itemid=2

Dean: They also sell imitation jungle cock: http://www.cascadecrest.com/index.ph...emart&Itemid=2

Old 12-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A trick I learned years ago was to take the feathers of your choice (mallard flank is good), stiffen them with a thinned cement, staple them to a index card, and then paint the eye on.

Something much easier that I do more often now is to collect colorful mylar (potato chip type) bags and cut out teardrop or diamond shapes that have some semblance of an eye in the pattern and just tie them in.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:41 AM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Guinea fowl dyed yellow/orange and cut to shape
Cheap and easy
Picked it up from Talleur's primer when I was very,very young