The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 08:32 AM

flysean will become famous soon enough
Default natural dubbing

i was thinking of using natural dubbing as red fox muskrat and opposum. can i use these dubbing on dry flies or only on nymphs. and if i use it on dry do i have to treat it. As you can tell i am a newbie to this sport. thanks again
Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: natural dubbing

Most natural fur's make good dubbing for wet flies or nymphs. At one time, before all the synthetic dubbings were available, fur was what was used, even on dry flies. I don't tie a lot of flies with dubbing, but when I do, I prefer natural materials. ( I rarely tie dry flies!) In particular I like rabbit, but opossum, both Aussie & North American is excellent too. I used to do a lot of fur trapping, so have used many types of fur to tie flies! All have a place!

For dry flies, if you don't want to treat them with a floatant, you'll want fur from animals such as Mink, Muskrat, Beaver or any other animal that spends a lot of time in the water. The natural oils in the fur will help provide flotation. Most all natural fur will have some natural oils in it, but those that spend time in the water, generally have more oils in the fur. Eventually, most dry flies tied with fur will need to be treated with a floatant.

However, if you'll be buying dyed or dyeing natural fur's, the process will remove some of those natural oils, so keep that in mind.

Of course with natural, un-dyed fur's you'll be limited in the colors they provide.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:52 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

You can also submerge your completed dry flies into a bottle of liquid boot silicone{waterproofing} that you get at your local shoe store. I do this with all my dries when I tie them, I leave them over night. This really helps the ones with dubbed bodies and there really is no need for the greasy floatant on the river. I use one of those pen magnets to get the submerged.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce m View Post
You can also submerge your completed dry flies into a bottle of liquid boot silicone{waterproofing} that you get at your local shoe store. I do this with all my dries when I tie them, I leave them over night. This really helps the ones with dubbed bodies and there really is no need for the greasy floatant on the river. I use one of those pen magnets to get the submerged.
That's a pretty good tip. I like it.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Sean, yup, a lot of dries were originally made with natural dubbing.

Muskrat was used for the Adams, and many flies use fox.... The pinkish urine stained fur from the belly of a vixen is the original dressing for dries like the Hendrickson etc. Australian possum not the same as our opossum, is used on dries too.

Beaver, rabbit and other natural dubbings can also be used.

A lot of the natural dubbings, except the ones from aquatic mammals like beaver, seal etc wick up water, so a decent floatant or water repellent treatment is a good idea.

Another option is to use a fine synthetic dubbing like Superfine or Fly Rite. a 12 color assortment of Superfine runs about 15 bucks and is great for dries.