The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 02:52 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default potentially a new material, and a fly example - The Firey Red Head

So i was at my local craft store this morning to pick up a box for bead storage and to have a gander around to see if i could find any new tying materials, and i came across this stuff
Martha Stewart Glitter Eyelash
Click the image to open in full size.

Its kinda like palmer chenille, though the fibers are not entirely flashy, with some being more thread like.

I tested it out on a fly today, just a random pattern i tied up with materials that were already lying on my desk.
Here is the fly - i'm gonna call it the Firey Red Head.
Hook Gamataksu B10S size 6
Tail: Red Sexi Legs under Peacock Sword
Body: Black Glitter Eyelash Palmered
Collar: Black Schlappen 4 wraps
Eyes: Small Bead chain eyes i found holding a tag on a christmas gift
Topping: Red Laser Dub
I've been wanting to tie up my own fly for a while and today it kinda came to be accidentally. Next thing will be to give it a throw some time this week to see how it goes.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: potentially a new material, and a fly example - The Firey Red Head

Hi Eunan,

Depending on how it acts when in use, that may do well. It should be pretty tough stuff,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-26-2011, 03:04 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

i'm hoping the 4 eyes at the front will give it some gyrational movement in the current.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-26-2011, 04:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: potentially a new material, and a fly example - The Firey Red Head

Whooa! Keep us posted on how that stuff works when wet.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
i'm hoping the 4 eyes at the front will give it some gyrational movement in the current.
I go with the 4 eyes rather than 2 most of the time. It's more noticeable that way and makes for a good rattle noise too.

As for the material, it looks like my kinda stuff. I'm going to have to make a trip to Michel's to check it out.

:
Old 12-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I go with the 4 eyes rather than 2 most of the time. It's more noticeable that way and makes for a good rattle noise too.

As for the material, it looks like my kinda stuff. I'm going to have to make a trip to Michel's to check it out.

:
in addition to the colors pictured, they also had it in red.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-26-2011, 11:12 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I seen the xmas garlan at the Micheals craft shop today while looking for photo frames, I was looking at the fake vegitation thinking it could make flies. subed to see how it works.
Mike