The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 03:23 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Alternative to Mothballs ???

If you have any Eucalyptus trees around where you live, the 'nuts' on these repel bugs and they smell like Halls Mentolyptus =)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Try Fresh leaves,also any of The Sprays made from natural products.
Incidently talking about Eucalyptus,the best oil comes from The Tree we call The Peppermint,one of The Eucalypt Species.

[QUOTE=mudbug;370194]it's the reason they make ceder bottoms on older clothes drawers.

Most of the Real Old Chest of Drawers made over here in the late 1800s early 1900s were all Cedar,they cut it down & used it for Lining,Skirting & Floor Boards,Picture Railing, Frames,Coffins,Jewellry Boxes,Beds,Tables,Dressing Tables & heaps of other uses now its scarce & only found in patches.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 01-04-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Cedarcide is a safer option to use and it smells real nice. Made form Red Texas Cedar Oil.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Not to get into a Texas vs. AnyOtherPartOfTheWorld argument... but the origin of REAL Red Cedar is Tennessee =)

And it was "Tennessee Incense Cedar" that was used in cedar hope chests from the 1930s- the ones that Lane made that protected fabric and paper from insect damage forever. There are other sources of half and quarter-sawn incense cedar (Oregon is one) but nothing tops the stuff from Tennessee.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
Not to get into a Texas vs. AnyOtherPartOfTheWorld argument... but the origin of REAL Red Cedar is Tennessee =)
Where ever it comes from I like the smell
Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

We didn't have much Red Cedar in the early days it mostly came from The USA & Canada although we had heaps of White Cedar.
We still get a lot of what we call "Western Red Cedar" Building Boards which comes from the West Coast of The USA,probably from Oregon,possibly Idaho,Wyoming ??
Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 AM

crashfromboston is on a distinguished road

Up here in the northeast we have lots of white cedar and patches
of red cedar. honestly i understand why bugs hate it. I cant stand
It myself. I leave the mothballs in their sealed boxes. Thats still
more than effective enough for me. And they will last nearly indefinitely.
i have boxes that are more than 15 years old that still feel nearly as
heavy as when i got them.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM

I had forgotten all about this but one of the fly shops I used to frequent took "Shell No-Pest Strips" and cut them into 2" pieces and placed those in open bins of bulk materials they sold... never had a bug problem.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Shell no pest strips have been withdrawn in the USA because they were toxic to humans. They probably won't harm you in small quantities but I do get concerned if you lick your fingers after touching the tying materials. Here is data on the active ingredient in the Shell No Pest Strip and the strips themselves

http://www.nps.gov/museum/publicatio...gram/02-04.pdf

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but i've been tying for ten years and have never had a bug problem. Granted I think it's just a matter of time.
Same here and if you say how I let my cleaning and dusting go sometimes, if anyone was going to. In Fact I'm doing some cleaning today. When the dust bunnies were replaced by dust Mastadons.....

I'm sure part of it is I keep most of it up on the wall on hangers in plastic bags.