The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Alternative to Mothballs ???

The only bug problems I've ever had was from harvested materials that were just a bit too "meaty". That gets REALLY ugly.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I have bought new saddle hackle in the past that had cloves in the package.to keep ou bugs.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM

spug is on a distinguished road

I didn't read all three pages of this thread so excuse me if I repeat anything. It sounds a little crazy but go buy some cheap Cigarettes, break them up and spread the tobacco around your materials. An old guy I fish with told me about this and an old guy told him about it years ago. So far, so good. He's had stuff for many years in a garage here in FL and no bugs. I'm sold!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Started my first tying class on Monday night, and we had a discussion on using roadkill or other "gathered" materials. Also talked a bit about preserving materials. The instructors shyed away from moth balls, referring to them as "carcinogenic" (I was never aware of that, but I haven't had time to verify or refute). Instead, they recommend a homemade mixture of natural herbs and leaves, ground together.

The "recipe" for this mix can be found at this site: http://cdflyfishers.org/Fly%20Tying/...2010-26-09.pdf

Hope this adds some value to the discussion....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-11-2012, 01:26 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

re: tobacco shreds

funny how you remember stuff (like the Shell No Pest Strips, but not that they had been outlawed )

I knew a guy who bought chewing tobacco, the block style (Days 'o Work) and cut those in smaller pieces and put them in the drawers of his tying chest.

Maybe this has been outlawed, like fast women and cheap liquor too...
Old 01-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When my dog and cats get new flea collars, the trimmings get saved for this purpose. Much like the No-Pest-Strips
It's not much, but I don't waste it.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:34 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Wow you should buy larger flea collars, then you wouldn't have to trim your dogs and cats....

Oh, nevermind... I get it now!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 PM

spug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
re: tobacco shreds

funny how you remember stuff (like the Shell No Pest Strips, but not that they had been outlawed )

I knew a guy who bought chewing tobacco, the block style (Days 'o Work) and cut those in smaller pieces and put them in the drawers of his tying chest.

Maybe this has been outlawed, like fast women and cheap liquor too...
Yup, I talked to Mel today, the guy that told me about that, and he said he has been doing it for about fourty years now. The only way it ever came up was when he gave me a box of materials that he didn't want anymore. I asked about the pieces of tobacco everywhere. At first he tried to tell me that when you tie with materials sitting in tobacco, the fish get a nicotine buzz and get all turned on. No, I didn't believe him!

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
Wow you should buy larger flea collars, then you wouldn't have to trim your dogs and cats....

Oh, nevermind... I get it now!!!
Ha, I thought the same thing!