The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:24 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about
Default Picture help

lately Ive been tying some good looking flies but i need some help. I need some advice on how to take pictures of said fly's All I have camera wise is an Ipod touch 4. The ipod 4 has a good camera I think its just user malfunction it takes good pictures of fish and pets. for example:
Click the image to open in full size.
and
I'm also thinking about splurging 100 bucks of my next paycheck on a good camera for fishing related pictures. any advice would be great.

(p.s. before I posted I used the search function and read through about 5 pages and couldn't find much I found a ton on the uk forum however.)
Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Picture help

one thing you might run into is trying to shoot to close so the lense cant focus correctly.. for the fishing cam, check out the

KODAK EASYSHARE SPORT Underwater Digital Camera C123 ? Point & Shoot 12MP Waterproof Digital Cameras with Share Button

a friend of mine uses one and it works well. I just picked up the new gopro HD hero 2 and will be using it for video and stills, but its a bit more expensive.

Mike
Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Fujifilm makes a pretty good new waterproof camera that i am eyeing.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

I have a DroidX phone, and my wife an iPhone 4. Both have far better cameras than anything you'll find in a point and shoot camera less than around $300 or so (from my experience).

A lot of the issue with fly photos is the lighting and background. Insufficient lighting, and an awkward background can really cause confusion on your camera, and cause blurriness and other things.

Try improvising some spotlighting, and try different color solid papers as a background. Eventually you may find something that works.

I have been taking plenty of up-close pics with my phone lately. My avatar pic was taken with my phone last week:
Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

evan that was an amazing photo. It dosen't help that my ipod goes everywhere with me in my pocket all the time so the photos may be blurred from my pocket as well (lent etc etc)
Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

the phones are getting so good, they do great things. but for me as a photographer I get wraped up around manual settings and such. Evan is right about the lighting and backround on the flys, I havent done many fly photos, but I shoot small models with a white or black poster board on a tray rolling up the wall to make a seamless backround, lit right you wouldnt see the paper, just your subject.
Mike