The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 09:58 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about
Default Question about tying bead head flys

Hey guys I'm tying lots of fly's with bead heads and was wondering how you guys tie bead-head fly's with out thread riding up onto the bead. In plain English How can I tie a fly where the thread after i tie off is hidden by the bead?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question about tying bead head flys

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaser View Post
Hey guys I'm tying lots of fly's with bead heads and was wondering how you guys tie bead-head fly's with out thread riding up onto the bead. In plain English How can I tie a fly where the thread after i tie off is hidden by the bead?

I am not perfect at this, but it's the same as not crowding the head. You just need to leave room.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:46 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Yeah it just takes practice to when you have enough material. I have been tying for over a year and I still crowd the head.

- Tyler

Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I think this video of a bead head
might give you some ideas.
Basically, two or three wraps is usually enough to hold materials in place.

Addicted To Vise