The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: My first tied fly....

Pocono has that right, I can crank about anything I tie together using 8/0 thread.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Ok, I don't want to be critical, but cut the hackle to the size of the hook
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Nice start for sure. After you do a dozen of them you will be saying "cool, what's next". A+
Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great start. I agree with Larry. While that fly will catch fish, you may want to hang on to it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:29 AM

team_fishbusters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Other than this I agree that it's a fine looking fly. Welcome to the addiction!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Length of the hackle should be the same length of the hook? If not, what should I be measuring?

Thanks for the constructives! That's the only way that I'll get better!!! (along with some practice!!)

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Good job Rick...will catch fish...you can also turn he hackle closer to the head
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

A rough rule of thum with hackles should be 1.5 times the hook gap. But that can vary on tiny and extra long hooks.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:05 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Kayo! I get it now.... smaller feather! Should I /can I effectively trim the hackle, or should I just learn from this, and select a smaller feather next time?

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Smile Re: My first tied fly....

I would leave it as is and fish it as a streamer.