The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default My first tied fly....

Actually, my third, but the first two went in the trash can, as I was struggling to learn some basics on my own. Just in-case it's not recognizable (I hope that it is!), it's a Wolly Bugger, tied per Charlie Craven's instructions (hackle tied from eye back to bend).

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's what I used:

Hook: #8 Tiemco 5263
Weight: .025" lead wire
Thread: Black 3/0 Monocord
Tail: Black Marabou
Flash: Several strands of Root Beer / Pearl Krystal Flash
Rib: Copper Ultra-wire - medium
Body: Medium Black Chenille
Hackle: Died Brown "Bugger Pack"

Certainly not a "pro" tying job, but one that I'll try to fish, come Spring!

Couldn't have gotten this far without all of the tips, suggestions, and encouragement that I've gotten from this forum. Thank you all for welcoming me into your group!

And yes, I'll be starting a real tying class NEXT week... but I couldn't wait!!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-02-2012, 06:44 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My first tied fly....

Looks awsome. So you are teaching the class,your students should do well.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Nice Job! That should catch some fish

WD
Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

And so you're on your way I see. You've got a much better start than mine were!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2012, 08:02 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Looks great. Can't beat catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Folks! Like I've said teaching firefighters, positive reinforcement always improves performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
Looks awsome. So you are teaching the class,your students should do well.
Seajay - I can teach any number of knots and rescue rigging, but all in ropes ranging from 7mm cord to 1/2" static kernmantle. This fine stuff is all new to me! And I trashed the first two attempts because I kept breaking the 3/0 (because I was either pulling too hard or not holding the bobbin correctly?). Can't wait to see how I do wth the smaller 6/0 or 8/0....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great start! That will definitely catch fish, but you might consider hanging onto that fly, years from now you can look back on that so it will be nice to keep in a safe place. Working through Charlie Craven's instruction is a good place to begin.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

That's a great job, keep that up and you'll be catching a lot of fish .
Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking the thread is all part of the learning process... And the wooly bigger will catch fish, good job.

Dave
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, looks like a great first fly to me. And I agree with the other posters - that fly will catch fish for you.

You'll get to like 6/0 and 8/0 a lot once you get the feel for how much tension you can put on the thread.

If you tie up 3 more, I think you'll really be smiling ear-to-ear.

Pocono