The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: The Official BIG STREAMER thread

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels, fysh, kelkay and 3 others like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Playing around at the vise today trying to come up with a big articulated streamer with lots of profile and flash for aggressive steelhead and maybe even the stray king.

This is what I came up with

Consists of purple rabbit zonker strips, pink and orange marabou, pink estaz, and some silver krystal flash
madjoni likes this.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:16 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default meat hook...

my hat is always off to you classic tyers...such an art form for sure...and it is one of the foundation stones of our pursuit as anglers...

I do make my own rods...especially from bamboo...my flies are strictly for fishing...but do qualify as big streamers...I am working on tying some of the classic patterns...but it is a work in progress...

here are a few tie's from homegrown materials(from harvests or my ranch)

gadwall,wild turkey,elk & moose mane, even some buffalo tail...

and w/ a little flash...some guinea hen too from my friends yard bird...and a woodie too...

all work well for big trout and other species as well...when they are wet and moving they look a bit different...I am tying up some articulated ones too...
madjoni, newby and baseman1 like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 01-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: meat hook...

Don's Delight (Stevens)

Hardyreels, fysh, kelkay and 2 others like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-18-2013, 01:28 PM

zinox is on a distinguished road

Hey Guyes, my first post on the board, and love all the pictures you post of you flies, nice inspiration to us new guys.

I haven't fly fished mutch, when i was 12 years old i got a "beginners #7 fly rod setup" and the family went to a fishing camp where there were some fly theme weekend where people could learn to cast, an tie flies, i managed to catch some small brown trout, with my truly poor casting technique. After that i have't fly fished sins, now that i'm 24, and love pike fishing in Denmark, i found a great fishing buddy, who fly fished for over 20 years. We started practice in the garden, and it kept getting better and better. So i decsidet to go all in on the fly fishing for pike, and im currently waiting for my #10 rod.

But while i'm waiting i started tying some BIG flies. This is some of the first bigger pike flies iv'e made, getting some help and ideas from YouTube.

Hope you like them

Had to untie some of them halfway and start over as they didnt looked like i wanted them to.

Kind regards Bjarke.
Tight lines.

First of a longer flash fly than I made before, as I saw my buddys in the water and the long tail looked amazing.

Lemon head fly with dumbbell eyes.

Black fly with epoxy head and eyes glued on.

Black fly with yellow dumbbell eyes and epoxy head.

A little lady like fly with dumbbell eyes.

A beast of a yellow popper.

Silver cisco.

Yellow/pink

smaller b/w baitfish

smaller yellow

small popper
madjoni, ted4887 and nick k like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Those are some great patterns you have there, all of which would surely have a place in my esox boxes.

One material I didn't see utilized in any of your patterns is bucktail. Other than flashabou, my number one material in my musky and pike flies is bucktail. If you can get your hands on some quality bucktail (which means having to go to the fly shops and taking each one out of the bag), you will like what you can do with it. It will also open up a broad range of new flies for you to tie. It's movement on big flies is nearly unbeatable, and is lightweight and easy to cast.

Check out this two part video for a good example of what I'm talking about.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:45 AM

zinox is on a distinguished road

Thanks, and your right some proper bucktail is on top of the list, of materials i need to get.

I have some classic bucktail inline spinners for spin fishing, and the movement of the bucktail in the water is amazing.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:41 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

These aren't exactly big...but here are a couple Zonker Sculpin's I tied up using the Sulpin helmets.

s fontinalis and ted4887 like this.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Might not be huge, but those sculpin helmets weigh a metric ton! I like the ties.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Might not be huge, but those sculpin helmets weigh a metric ton! I like the ties.
Thank you! You are right, they do weigh a ton. They scoot nicely across the bottom though and with the hook up they rarely get snagged.