The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: The Official BIG STREAMER thread

I think a lot of the big trout streamers would not be turned down by pike or muskies or even bass if they were in the vacinity of the moving fly.
I think this thread is gonna develop nicely.
I'm mostly interested in trout/steelhead streamers, however, all streamers are welcome in my opinion, both on the shorter and much longer end of the BIG scale!

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

anybody wanna post some big bass/saltwater streamers?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

I had my phone to take some pictures of the streamers that I brought home.
I fish a lot of streamers so this is what I primarily carry, and no where near all that I have, just what I could fit in two boxes in a fanny pack.
Click the image to open in full size.
These are the swap flies I have with me. You might recognize Eunans "mikes red rocket" tylers "something I actually forgot the name" The "black Angus" Nerkas "popsicle" and Watson's "yoda" in no particular order.

Next: the circus peanuts, woolhead peanut, and another galloup fly in the middle right that I can't remember the name of for the life of me right now.

That Rounds out the first box, The next are some assorted ones:
This is just a jumble of them I pulledout for the picture, most of them I tied, a few I didn't, can you figure out which ones? No, serioulsy, I'd like to know. these I primarily have fished a tailwater at night with, nearly all of them have caught fish.

VooDoo leaches, Eunan posted an SBS a while back.

Closer look

my most productive fly This summer... While not trememdously big, it is simple. a hook, Thread, and a three inch piece of zonked pine squirrell.

The following is an articulated craft fur and marabou creation, I am going to recolor the head with blue, not green:

Had some good bass hits on these this summer, bottom right was stripped down though, too thick and even held a sink tip up.

Whats called a "Hot core" I need to put some eyes on it.

All I got for now,Buying a ton of tying supplies when I get back to springfield, Most of which will be for streamers.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:21 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I need to pick up more ep fiber and craft fur and longer, wider rabbit strips. Need to tie tarpon and pike streamers...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
I think a lot of the big trout streamers would not be turned down by pike or muskies or even bass if they were in the vacinity of the moving fly.
I think this thread is gonna develop nicely.
I'm mostly interested in trout/steelhead streamers, however, all streamers are welcome in my opinion, both on the shorter and much longer end of the BIG scale!
The Lefty's Deceiver makes for a great trout streamer. One of the best IMO, and there are plenty of other "crossover" streamers too. A good design is a good design.
One of my other favorites is Jack Gartside's Soft Hackle Streamer. It's very lifelike in the water and is as simple to tie as you can find.
Affective on all gamefish
Old 01-05-2012, 07:55 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Lancer - Great looking flies. I would have to say the middle fly was the one you tied? Am I correct? Also The bottom right fly in the second to last picture looks awesome. Is that tied with EP fibers?

- Tyler

Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
A good design is a good design.
I couldnt agree more. Regardless of the species in mind when the fly was designed, once it hits the water its fair game for anything that comes across it if they like the look of it.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

you may want to tie your ep riber minnows a big more sparcley i sawa video on youtube of a guy forming the head on a fly with some sort of foam any body know of this technique
Old 01-05-2012, 06:00 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

It was to thick, it got salvaged for the hook. Actually on two flies I posted were not toe by me, save the picture of the swap flies. The bunny leach with chartreuse head and the black and pink in the bottom middle.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 PM

so im not the only one that salvaged hooks good to know