The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Official BIG STREAMER thread

I would say a large percentage of tyers actually salvage hooks, we all have the junk flies that either dont cut fish, fall apart, orjust dont come out as we thought they would.
Joey Bagels likes this.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Yup I do it as well. I even save dumbbell eyes too. It sure is a pain getting them off the hook though.
Joey Bagels likes this.

- Tyler

Old 01-11-2012, 01:05 PM

spug is on a distinguished road

Keep 'em coming. I love looking at big fatty streamers. I wish we had a use for them in FL! I do tie a variation of the Circus Peanut for bass but that's about it.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
I would say a large percentage of tyers actually salvage hooks, we all have the junk flies that either dont cut fish, fall apart, orjust dont come out as we thought they would.
x3 here. These things add up in $$ when you tie enough.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:25 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

dont have use for big streamers in florida? i use 4-5 inch streamers everyday for bass.
Joey Bagels likes this.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:30 PM

spug is on a distinguished road

Saltwater stuff yeah, but never really tried the big fat freshwater sculpin style streamers here. Any suggestions??
Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

search rich strolis on vimeo, he ties a great sculpin called 'the meat helmet sculpin'

if you look through my pictures folder you'll see my version of it

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I know I have posted this pattern already but I added one little thing to this fly that I think makes it that much better. I used 2 of the grouse feathers I found the other day and tied them in as "fins." I think it looks really nice especially with the tan marabou. Ill have to see how it looks on olive.

Click the image to open in full size.

- Tyler

Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tied a whole bunch of big streamers this Fall. All of which glow in the dark. Of the flies in the right column, all but the top one are more than 4 inches long. Even the Clousers on the left are all over 3 inches long. These were all tied to get Walleye in the dark.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 PM

I like the rainbow and fire tiger style clousers...very nice!

- Tyler

Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i find it hard to find bucktail long enough for some streamers i want to tie. has anyone tired arctic fox?