The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Official BIG STREAMER thread

It's just a matter of finding a good tail.

Dan, I saw a YouTube video of you catching a very.large walleye the other day.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

usually the longer strands are the bad ones that spin
Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i find it hard to find bucktail long enough for some streamers i want to tie.
That's why I invented this fly;
Click the image to open in full size.
This fly is just shy of 5 inches and tied with material in the 3 inch range. This came from the glow in the dark flies I was talking about. If you look at the flies in thia picture, the second from the top is pretty much all bucktail. You can get a fly to come out around an inch shy of double the length of the material. 3 in. stuff = 5 in. fly. The second from the bottom is tied with Icelandic Sheep. Very long stuff. It has great movement in the water but it is also very limp, so you get flies that can tangle on the hook. I don't seem to have the trouble as much spey casting as I do with single hand casting.
This Fall we had a really good Emerald Shiner run. Some of them were enormous. To get clousers that big with Bucktail, I did some of them in the same way I did the big streamers.
You can see the mylar body where I cover basically making it in two sections. This allows me to get a fly that's longer than my materials
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Dan, I saw a YouTube video of you catching a very.large walleye the other day.
Which one was it? Looks like fun huh?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Said a world record walleye.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Here is Rich Strolis' Cellar Dwellar. Not perfect by any means. I think I used to much laser dub. It feels like its going to float rather than sink haha.

Sorry for the fuzy picture. The cell phone isnt good at close ups.

- Tyler

Old 02-02-2012, 08:30 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i want to resurrect this thread. everyone post your favorite big streamer

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Kerry Pitt likes this.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

These are kinda big-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:43 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Here's a streamer I tied tonight, got it from the latest issue of Hatches magazine, called the Sasquatch. Played around with the colors a bit, maybe I'll even catch a fish on it I'm quite interested to see how it does in the water. I'll tell you one thing though: it takes me FOREVER to tie it.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I tied this one a few weeks ago, and sent it to my nephew in Ireland. He's chasing pike, so i'm sure he'll have some fun with it. He's 7 years old!
Senyo's Joker

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Took a break from the winged wets this weekend to replenish the streamer box.

Red rockets.
kelkay and Kerry Pitt like this.

Addicted To Vise