The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: The Official BIG STREAMER thread

Nice flies lancer. I would try to make the marabou from the lead hook a bit longer (or if there is no marabou, add just a little bit) and flowing into the middle of the second fly, just to try to hide the linker and beads a bit more. Other than that they look great.

On a 'new fly note', fish skull makers FLYMEN just released two new patterns for tying, which will be available to buy at the end of may. But no one here buys flies, right??

So here are links to the patterns
FS Skulpin Bunny

FS Skulpin Bugger

Think i'm gonna have to tie some of the bunny's for sure!

Go Nuts!

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 04-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Korinary - try to figure out where the inspiration came from.

Hook is Allen S401 size 4 (6xl)
Body Red floss
Rib Pearl mylar
Belly White bucktail
Throat yellow schlappen
Wing Kori with yellow and red goose

Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 04-30-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 PM

In addition to the Korinary above, and the titanic i posted a few weeks ago, i've tied two more freestyle streamers
Here they are, with the inspiration and materials lists below

Wee Steelie
Inspiration came from seeing other small fish imitations, brook and brown trout, so I thought to include a little steelie. Colors are from other steelhead fly imitations I’ve seen. I included the JC body feather to give a focal point, and lateral line on the fly.

Hook: Mike Martinek Carrie Stevens Rangeley Size 2 8XL
Body: White floss
Rib : Blue Tinsel
Throat/Belly: Black Goose Shoulder 4-5 slips, left and right
Wing: Blue (inside), Pink (middle) and Grey Saddle Hackle
Shoulder: Jungle Cock Body Feather
Eye: Jungle cock nail
Head: White

Korinary
Wanted to tie a slip wing fly after seeing Stewart’s Hawk. So with some Kori Bustard at hand I married in some yellow and red goose to see how it looked. From these colors came the name and the rest of the fly – yellow gave the nary part, from canary, and when put to Kori, well, Korinary – the red reminded me of blood and thus the gruesome analogy to a serious heart condition was spawned.
Hook: Allen S401 Size 4 6xl
Body: Red Floss
Rib: Pearl Mylar
Belly: White Bucktail
Throat: Yellow Schlappen
Wing, Married slips of Kori bustard, Red and yellow goose shoulder.
Head: Black

Sidewinder
Originally conceived under a different moniker, this fly (and the original idea) evolved from some of John McLain’s funky feathers. I wanted Indian Crow Badger, but they were unavailable at the time of order and the Fire Tiger badger replaced them. With the change in wing came a slight change in the body color, and after tying a couple different iterations, this is the one I decided looked the best. When finished it reminded me of a missile – hence the name.
Tail: 3 slips each, left and right, red, black and yellow goose shoulder, separated and mixed.
Body: Charcoal Floss
Rib: Copper Tinsel
Belly: Golden Pheasant Crest
Wing: Funky Feather Fire Tiger badger, with a badger under a non-badger hackle from the same neck.
Shoulder: Dyed Yellow Guinea
Eye: Jungle Cock Nail

Titanic
Tied to commemorate the sinking of the great ship 100 years ago. Each element of the fly has some significance. The colors of the throat, body and tail are for the hull of the ship. The long sweeping white goose of the throat signifies the white lateral stripe.
The JC, with 4 eyes for the 4 funnels. The silver tag and rib for the glamour of the maiden voyage. The white wing is for the clear cold night and smoke from the funnels and finally the topping for the lights of the ship.
Hook: Mustad Chestertown 3298 Size 9 (Blind Eye) with gut for eye.
Tail: White over black goose shoulder
Tag and rib: Silver tinsel
Body: Black floss
Throat: White over black goose shoulder with white extending to tail, black 3/4 way along body
Wing: 4 white hackles flanked by 2 JC nails each side
Roof: Black goose shoulder inverted so the natural curve of the goose flows with the wing.
Topping: GP crest
kelkay and madjoni like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Took a break from the salmon flies yesterday and knocked out this classic Grey Ghost.
First time tying it, turned out pretty well.

Hook is Mike Martinek Carrie Stevens Rangeley Style Streamer by Gaelic Supreme, size 2 8xl

Addicted To Vise
Old 05-21-2012, 07:10 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
In addition to the Korinary above, and the titanic i posted a few weeks ago, i've tied two more freestyle streamers
Here they are, with the inspiration and materials lists below

Wee Steelie
Inspiration came from seeing other small fish imitations, brook and brown trout, so I thought to include a little steelie. Colors are from other steelhead fly imitations I’ve seen. I included the JC body feather to give a focal point, and lateral line on the fly.

Body: White floss
Rib : Blue Tinsel
Throat/Belly: Black Goose Shoulder 4-5 slips, left and right
Wing: Blue (inside), Pink (middle) and Grey Saddle Hackle
Shoulder: Jungle Cock Body Feather
Eye: Jungle cock nail
Head: White

Korinary
Wanted to tie a slip wing fly after seeing Stewart’s Hawk. So with some Kori Bustard at hand I married in some yellow and red goose to see how it looked. From these colors came the name and the rest of the fly – yellow gave the nary part, from canary, and when put to Kori, well, Korinary – the red reminded me of blood and thus the gruesome analogy to a serious heart condition was spawned.
Hook: Allen S401 Size 4 6xl
Body: Red Floss
Rib: Pearl Mylar
Belly: White Bucktail
Throat: Yellow Schlappen
Wing, Married slips of Kori bustard, Red and yellow goose shoulder.

Sidewinder
Originally conceived under a different moniker, this fly (and the original idea) evolved from some of John McLain’s funky feathers. I wanted Indian Crow Badger, but they were unavailable at the time of order and the Fire Tiger badger replaced them. With the change in wing came a slight change in the body color, and after tying a couple different iterations, this is the one I decided looked the best. When finished it reminded me of a missile – hence the name.
Tail: 3 slips each, left and right, red, black and yellow goose shoulder, separated and mixed.
Body: Charcoal Floss
Rib: Copper Tinsel
Belly: Golden Pheasant Crest
Wing: Funky Feather Fire Tiger badger, with a badger under a non-badger hackle from the same neck.
Shoulder: Dyed Yellow Guinea
Eye: Jungle Cock Nail

Titanic
Tied to commemorate the sinking of the great ship 100 years ago. Each element of the fly has some significance. The colors of the throat, body and tail are for the hull of the ship. The long sweeping white goose of the throat signifies the white lateral stripe.
The JC, with 4 eyes for the 4 funnels. The silver tag and rib for the glamour of the maiden voyage. The white wing is for the clear cold night and smoke from the funnels and finally the topping for the lights of the ship.
Hook: Mustad Chestertown 3298 Size 9 (Blind Eye) with gut for eye.
Tail: White over black goose shoulder
Tag and rib: Silver tinsel
Body: Black floss
Throat: White over black goose shoulder with white extending to tail, black 3/4 way along body
Wing: 4 white hackles flanked by 2 JC nails each side
Roof: Black goose shoulder inverted so the natural curve of the goose flows with the wing.
Topping: GP crest
Hi Eunan,

I like the use of the JC crest on the underside of your Sidewinder patttern. Nice effect in the dry and probably also in the wet (underwater).

Pocono
Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Streamers, do, in fact work.

This evening I stuck two fish, one 22'' male and a 19" female on a white circus peanut. If I can get the photo of the fish with the fly in it's mouth I will post them in here as well as a report up in the coldwater section that I had running from last summer.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:04 PM

Some of these i tied before, but this weekend i did my tying on Allen S401 Streamer hooks.
All these flies are on the size 4 6xl version.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 05-28-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:11 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of great looking streamers in this thread, nice work getting this kicked off Eunan. I tied nearly 30 Dozen flies for my annual 10 day fishing excursion to split between myself and my bud and more since then to replenish our boxes on certain patterns. After all that time working on nymphs, dries and terrestrials, I needed a change. After lots of time working on nymphs, dries and terrestrials, I needed a change.Here are some streamers that were intruder/leech inspired. Smallie fishing is on right now in my area and I'll likely try these until the White Flies start coming off anyway I'll dial in the patterns and the switch rod with these guys. Criticisms and comments welcome.

madjoni likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 06-14-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 AM

More classic than contemporary

Pink Ghost

Jock Scott

Vintage Claret, an original pattern i designed

Queen of the lake
madjoni and silvertip8k like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:35 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Man I like that Vintage Claret!