The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Peak Vs Anvil - Which one to get?

All,
Before anyone suggests it, I have searched this forum for reviews on vises and found a good bit of info. on the all the choices for a vise. Most of them speak highly of the Renzetti's & the Peak. I have recently started with fly tying & find it something that I plan to continue well into the future. My focus is mainly freshwater flies for the local streams and tail-waters.
I have been given the choice between the Peak Rotary Vise Or the Anvil Atlas Vise. Which one would you recommend and why?
Unfortunately, I cannot view / handle these vises in person since none of the shops nearby carry them.

Regards & Thanks,
Shrish
Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Peak Vs Anvil - Which one to get?

Peak, the thing is a tank and real smooth to boot.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:54 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I'm new at tying flies, but based on reviews that I read, I went with the Atlas Anvil. It's my first vice, so I have nothing to compare to, but so far, I like it! Seems very adjustable, and I like that it came with both the table base and the clamp. Found on-line from Ed's Fly Shop, through Amazon.com for $139.95.

I found a thread (somewhere on this forum) that mentioned that if there was a milspec for a vice, this would be it, and I have to agree, it does seem very well manufactured.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Peak, the thing is a tank and real smooth to boot.
I've used the Peak for over three years now and absolutely love it. Very well built, bought the midge jaw option. I've never used the Anvil so I can't speak on it.

Larry

Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

anvil ---- don't need any xtras and is made in U.S.A. with a nice warrenty. I have used and sold them...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I've used the Peak for over three years now and absolutely love it. Very well built, bought the midge jaw option. I've never used the Anvil so I can't speak on it.

Larry
+1 I love my Peak, a friend has Anvil and it is also good quality. HMH also has a inexpensive and quality made products.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:59 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

I vote peak I fiddled around with the anvil at bass pro and I didn't like it to much. Plus I got the peak for Christmas. I recently bought all the upgrades minus the saltwater jaw and its a champ. my only gripe is not being able to make minute adjustments to the jaw tension. But hey that's just me being picky.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:02 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
anvil ---- don't need any xtras and is made in U.S.A. with a nice warrenty. I have used and sold them...
My choices were peak and apex, went with the apex made by anvil because it was cheaper and you don't have to buy midge jaws. With what I do I'll never upgrade. Also it comes with a clamp attachment or you can just use the base mount.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Wow! thanks for all the response. The cost difference is not an issue since the purchase will be via a gift card. Based on all the comments I think I will go with the Peak. Question is whether to choose the pedestal or the clamp Is the height of the vise the same for both?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Wow! thanks for all the response. The cost difference is not an issue since the purchase will be via a gift card. Based on all the comments I think I will go with the Peak. Question is whether to choose the pedestal or the clamp Is the height of the vise the same for both?
I can't answer that question, the reason I choose the pedestal was the portability. The base is really heavy so you don't need to worry about it moving around while tying. I took one of those small magnetic cards that come in the Tiemco fly fishing hook packages and used some Pliobond to glue it onto the pedestal, that keeps the stray hooks from wondering off.