The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Married Duck quills

Here's my attempts at married duck quills on some wets.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Married Duck quills

They're well married, thats for sure.
However, dimensions and placement need to be altered somewhat. The wings are too short, and too low, hiding most of the body on the lower fly. This is just a placement issue as they look well formed
A typical wing has the shortest barbs beginning at the bend of the hook, with the longest barbs typically at half way along the tail or no more than the length of one hook gap along the tail -This information i just got today from Don Bastian, who commented on my Holberton on another forum. The bottom of the wing needs to rest on top of the body, rather than totally along side it, though i do see some wet flies with some wing alongside the body, but only at the very front of the fly right behind the head.
Hope this helps. I'm no expert, but like you, learning.
Certainly great looking flies, and definitely fishable

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Yes I agree My placement needs a lot of work and I will be working on it. Watching vids from Davie Mcphail on wets and how he places the wings, he makes it look so easy, I made a conscious effort to get them to raise up but to no avail, this will come with time on the bench. Thanks for the input any and all is greatly appreciated, I like criticism, I learn from them, especially yours where you point out the correct way of doing it also.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:59 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

One thing i read was that when placing the wing, hold them with your thumb and second finger, with your fore finger free to 'cinch' down the quill as you tighten the thread, and hold them "TIGHT" as you increase the tension
I did this when i tied my fly last night - the result was that i could actually see the loose end of the quill, that extending over the eye of the hook was the part that bent and cinched in rather than the wing extending over the fly.
I'm not sure if you can get this visually in your head. You might need to see it to get it.
Regardless. Give that a go. Get the wings over the top of the shank, hold them tight,
give a loose wrap around, then another - here the quills should not at all be distorted by the thread. All the while holding very tight on the quills. once you have two wraps, increase the tension on the thread by pulling up like you're making another wrap and you should see the quills bite down over the hook eye.
This prevents them from becoming unmarried over the shank and also helps prevent them from slipping down the side of the hook as you should still be holding them tight. Make another couple wraps and then continue with tying in topping or whatever else needs tied in. I learned from tying the Jock Scott, that you should only trim the excess right at the end - this helps to keep everything close together.
also, check out classicflytying.com - some great info to be got from there too.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Thanks, that does make sense in my mind and I will try that after some lunch.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 PM

let us see how it goes after lunch.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-05-2012, 12:15 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

If you really get into the Bergman style wets look into Bastain's DVD and check in on his blog. Alot of it written description but there are some really helpfull pointers. Its hard to describe setting a wing, alot of pushing and pulling, pinching and so on it take a few shots. The sweet thing about Quill wings if I find there are way more resiliant than say turkey or goose and the marry nicely.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM

i second Don's Blog and the dvd, though i dont yet own one.
Funny you should mention liking the quill more, i like the turkey and goose more for the marrying purposes! i've found that even pair quills will have very thick butts which are hard to marry and even harder to tie in - probably due to the resiliency....each to their own i suppose. What works for one man might not work for another. Either that or i need more practice.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Don is the number 1 tyer of wet flies in my book. check out Don Bastian Wet Flies for his page...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Well I've been at it for about 8 hours today and am getting burnt out, I'll post my progress on this when there is some to view. Thanks all for the insight and links and especially thanks to sandfly for the generous offer in a PM. some real great people here.