The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Classic Carrie Stevens' streamer, the Red Devil

I have seen a bunch of threads lately on streamers so I got looking at some sites that talk about them. Up till now I was not aware that Carrie Stevens was a women. She has a very interesting story. I don't think to many of us have not heard of the fly she invented called the Grey Ghost. I just saw where one she tied was going on auction with a starting bid of $350.oo. Anyway, I decided to tie one because I have the extra time since fly fishing is so hard when everything is frozen over. Here is the Red Devil. There are a couple of things I let go here. The red hackle wings should have been webbier but it was what I had. Also the Blue Hackle wings should be a darker blue. I have the dye to do that but decided not to dye any because I only needed 2. The Wood Duck flank could have been smaller also. When you strip it to get the proper length you loose width on ones this big. That or I should have used a bigger hook. Other than that I like it pretty well.
Click the image to open in full size.
An interesting link to a site about Carrie Stevens;
Rangeley and Oquossoc Outdoor Heritage Museum
Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Classic Carrie Stevens' streamer, the Red Devil

Dan, I would fish that fly in a heartbeat. From where I sit, the proportions are great for a casting streamer. Nicely done, I say.
Gary
Old 01-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Ahh winter,

With time on your hands you'll probably end up tying more of these patterns. I believe I've made at least one of every Maine style feather wing that I could find. Some are so productive that I've made many of them and still do.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

That looks good, Dan. You've even kept Carrie's signature band on the head of the fly; nice touch.

Did you glue up the wing components before tying them in or did you tie on each paired wing element in sequence? She worked making hats before she got into tying streamers, so the use of glue was well known to her (and her sister).

By the way, one of the things that also differentiates Carrie's patterns from the so-called Eastern Streamers, is the fact that she tyed the wing assemblies in on the upper side of the hook; not on the top of the hook and she tyed in one side at a time. Some say that she reversed the thread to do that, but Selene Dumaine, a Carrie Stevens pattern tyer who now lives in Brunswick, ME, says that she tyed them in without a reverse and tilted the back side wing assembly toward the front just enough so that it would be more or less straight when the torque of the tying thread was taken into account.

You probably know that she tyed her patterns without using a vise!

Pocono
Old 01-07-2012, 01:45 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
You probably know that she tyed her patterns without using a vise!

Pocono
Yes and I would like to see how that's done. I saw a photo of her tying. Amazing. I did glue the wing components before tying them on. I did it with clothing cement. I was thinking about doing a couple other patterns of hers but that was my last two Jungle Cock nails. Gotta order some more first.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Awsome tyingDan your fingers are too big to tie without a vise
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Awsome tyingDan your fingers are too big to tie without a vise
And not nearly coordinated enough either!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
You've even kept Carrie's signature band on the head of the fly; nice touch.

Pocono
I should probably mention, she did the red band with silk thread. I used paint here because silk does not show in a photo after being hit with Hard as Nails which is what I use for head cement. She used a laquer which may nor have made it vanish as bad. In her flies pictured where it's easy to see may also be partly because the laquer has come off somewhat. I did another Carrie Stevens' streamer a while back where I also basterdized the pattern somewhat. I first off tied it as a tube fly, and used some nonspecified materials. I did however use the red silk in the head. If you notice, it's very hard to see in the photograph.
Click the image to open in full size.
I also did not preassemble the wings in this one either.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Yes and I would like to see how that's done. I saw a photo of her tying. Amazing. I did glue the wing components before tying them on. I did it with clothing cement. I was thinking about doing a couple other patterns of hers but that was my last two Jungle Cock nails. Gotta order some more first.
I did some tying with Selene Dumaine this Summer; she's one of the best Rangeley Streamer tyers around. She did one without a vise one morning. It came out nice, but I could never do one. A lot has to do with being able to hold the thread tight in a "catch" position between your fingers while positioning the next material for tying in.

You're right, you can loose almost all of the contrast in the head band if you varnish the head with the wrong material. She uses Veniard's Cellire No. 1 clear and it leaves the contrast just as you want it.

Pocono