The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all
Default Trying my hand at poppers

When I started tying I never had the intention of tying poppers. Didnt really have a reason just figured it would be easier to buy them. However, I have been using the Articulated Shanks by The Flymen Fishing Company...the maker of Fish Skulls. Anyways, they have an articulated popper on their site that I just had to try.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is just a regular hard bodied popper I tried.

And as a side note, I was out rabbit hunting the other day and stumbled across a beautiful site. Something (I am assuming a coyote based on the location) got a ruffed grouse and left some leftovers for me. I was pretty happy when I found it. I will be cranking out some soft hackles very soon.

- Tyler

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trying my hand at poppers

The popper looks great! Like a very mini-version of a couple that I have in my spin-box.

As for the grouse, it looks like some great materials for many flies to come. That said, I attended my first fly-tying class last evening, and the insructors were VERY negative about using roadkill or carcusses found in the wild, due to contamination issues with your other materials, and the possibility of disease. Having read these forums for a couple of months now, I was surprised at how negative they were on the subject. One of the instructors works as a salesperson at the local fly shop that supplied the course book and much of the tying materials, so maybe they were just being respectful of that relationship.....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-10-2012, 10:22 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Tyler, those look great! Nice find on the plumage too!

What hook are you using on the articulating popper?

I see your in VT, so am assuming you fish for Smallmouths with those poppers?

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Great looking flies. Next step Deer Hair poppers???
Spinning deer hair has become an art form
Check some of the birds this guy spins!

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-10-2012, 10:31 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Funny that you post this. I was actually looking at that exact same popper on their site last night and thought about giving it a try sometime. Your's looks good. How did you color it and what did you seel it with?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
The popper looks great! Like a very mini-version of a couple that I have in my spin-box.

As for the grouse, it looks like some great materials for many flies to come. That said, I attended my first fly-tying class last evening, and the insructors were VERY negative about using roadkill or carcusses found in the wild, due to contamination issues with your other materials, and the possibility of disease. Having read these forums for a couple of months now, I was surprised at how negative they were on the subject. One of the instructors works as a salesperson at the local fly shop that supplied the course book and much of the tying materials, so maybe they were just being respectful of that relationship.....
I have always been very careful about bringing in new material from the outdoors. What I do is wash it with soap and warm water. Then I salt it for a week or however long it takes to dry out and then I freeze it for a couple of days. I have done it with deer hair and tails, squirrel tails, rabbit hide and feet and turkey feathers. Havent had a problem yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Tyler, those look great! Nice find on the plumage too!

What hook are you using on the articulating popper?

I see your in VT, so am assuming you fish for Smallmouths with those poppers?
It is a size one stinger hook. I will actually be tossing them to largemouths and pickerel. I mostly fish for smallies in the spring when they move up into the shallows and tribs to spawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Funny that you post this. I was actually looking at that exact same popper on their site last night and thought about giving it a try sometime. Your's looks good. How did you color it and what did you seel it with?
I just used a sharpie. Unfortunately, I didnt have a yellow sharpie for the belly so I used a highlighter....didnt work so well. You can barely tell there is any color there. I used liquid fusion to glue the shank to the body and then I used Loon's Hard Head glue to coat the body.

- Tyler

Old 01-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tyler: Great work on the poppers! At first I thought maybe you were using an air brush to color them, but your getting some pretty good results using a Sharpie. Congrats on scoring on the grouse feathers!