The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 02:33 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Hackle for Royal Coachman ?

Do you use soft or dry fly hackle for the royal coachman, it looks to me that it is a stiffer hackle than a soft would be but I can not find anything that definitively states this.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hackle for Royal Coachman ?

What are you tying? That pattern can be dressed as a wet fly, or as a dry fly.

I've used & would use genetic dry fly hackle for the dry version, and hen hackle for the wet.

Coachman brown is the color used on both, but most any darker red/brown hackle could be used.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, of course. I'm tying a wet with the duck quil wings like this one;
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:55 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Then I think you're looking for a hen neck or "wet" saddle hackle.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You can use whatever brown hackles you have on hand, the stuff in the photo looks like Indian Rooster cape hackle. When I make that fly or similar I collar the hackle then pull & tie it down into a beard style. My hackles are generally longer than in the picture unless I'm tying the fly to show the traditional dressing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Ard...so no use spending a lot of money...a cheap indian rooster cape will do
Old 01-10-2012, 03:01 PM

Thanks all for clearing that up for me. Ard when you say you pull it down into the beard style, do you do that as to eliminate the hackle from sticking up through the wings.