The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Analysis?

I am one of those fishers that is attracted to certain flies, so, I was on this site

https://www.docsflybox.com/sunshop/

In the upper right there are three flies. the first one, I am seeing hackle tail, and the body, to me looks like Peacock mylar with maybe a peacock rib. Even a jungle cock gill. What you think?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Analysis?

Looks like red hackle fibers for the throat and tail, Peacock body with a pearl mylar back, brass rib and jungle cock cheeks with a yellow thread head. Does that sound right to you?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I tried cropping and resizing the image in photoshop but the resolution is poor at best. Basically that's about as big as it gets. Rather than peacock rib, it seems to be peacock mylar with strips of peacock herl lashed along the sides with chartreuse wire. the other option is the body is wrapped with peacock herl and the mylar is just lashed to the top? I guess that is far more likely given the flat appearance to the mylar... Chartreuse beadhead, junglecock gill, hackle tail, same hackle throat. Hardly an expert opinion but that's what I see. Quite the eye-catcher!

EDIT: AAAND looks like Dan beat me to the punch The yellow threadhead seems more likely than the bead I suggested given the slight asymmetrical appearance but that could be due to shadow. I wish they were more polite and gave us a larger photo or perhaps a full recipe!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I think you nailed it. I am looking at it on my Mac Book and not a big picture, but your description puts everything in place.
I think I need to tie this with a bead head and on a scud hook...LOL
Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I agree with the other, even though I can't see any yellow thread
You could send Doc an email
Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
I can't see any yellow thread
I went to tools, and blew up the whole web page to 200%. You can see that it's not a bead head when you get it that big. I think a bead head would be a nice touch to. Nice fly. I wonder what they call it?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Looks like red hackle fibers for the throat and tail, Peacock body with a pearl mylar back, brass rib and jungle cock cheeks with a yellow thread head. Does that sound right to you?
Bingo! Exactly what I was gonna say. I was wondering about the head, bead or thread, but if you enlarged it then I believe you.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Bingo! if you enlarged it then I believe you.
Click the image to open in full size.Why thankyou!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

If you Rt-Clk on the image, select "view image" and then Ctrl+ a few times you can enlarge the image quite a bit.

It's tough to tell without knowing you you're seeing reflective light or a cast from a flash, but it appears to me to be a green ribbing wire, and POSSIBLY a chatterer or kingfisher feather trapped under it running along the top of the body for the bright blue (?)

And I agree definitely a JC eye tied along the side as a 'drooping cheek'

The head appears to be yellow thread, well lacquered or maybe even epoxy coated.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I was thinking goose biot for the cheek piece, thought it looked thicker then a JC nail would be...

Dan