The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 03:46 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dubbing Loops

Does anyone have any experience using dubbing loop. I want to tie a Hares Ear Nymph next, but have no dubbing wax. I saw a technique using a dubbing loop, but it wasn't very concise in its directions.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:52 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dubbing Loops

just wet your thread.

I seldom use wax and only use dubbing loops for CDC or Marabou dubbing.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
just wet your thread.

I seldom use wax and only use dubbing loops for CDC or Marabou dubbing.
Excuse my ignorance....but what is CDC?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You can use can lots of things besides dubbing wax. Anything tacky.
Lip balm would be good. I use bee's wax.
Dubbing loops are good for when you want 'fuzzy' rather than tight dubbing... big difference. For a hair's ear, you want fuzzy
To make a loop, you need a hook with weight. A paper clip bent with just a short hook to go over the thread works fine. Weight the bottom with a large splitshot.
Run a section of thread with your bobbin down where you want the dubbing to begin. Put your new tool inand run the thread back up to where you started and make a couple of wraps to hold it in place. Bring the thread forward.
Then just open the space between the loop legs and evenly and sparsely spread out the dubbing. Spin to twist the loop tight (but not too tight)
Wrap it forward. Rather than make the dubbing too thick to begin with it's better to wrap over it a second time or even a third.
When you have enough, secure the end of the loop with the bobbin thread and cut off the excess.

CDC.... the duck's a$$
Old 01-15-2012, 04:19 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
Excuse my ignorance....but what is CDC?
Cul de Canard

French for ducks butt
jpbfly likes this.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

cdc feathers - Google Search

And a tutorial using CDC.
Classic Salmon and Trout Flies of Europe and the Americas

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but since you asked...

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
cdc feathers - Google Search

And a tutorial using CDC.
Classic Salmon and Trout Flies of Europe and the Americas

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but since you asked...
Its not hijacking since I asked.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:41 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

If you have a glue stick that would work for touch dubbing. Most of the time you don't need wax though.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I've always waxed when I dub, it's how I learned. For a long time I used the chunk of wax that came with my kit. It was OK, much like candle wax, which you could use. Now I use Wapsi premium dubbing wax. It's much stickier and works better. Since I have very dry skin, I smoosh a tiny bit on my dubbing fingers, too. It helps a lot.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
Does anyone have any experience using dubbing loop. I want to tie a Hares Ear Nymph next, but have no dubbing wax. I saw a technique using a dubbing loop, but it wasn't very concise in its directions.

I never use wax other than for touch dubbing because any tacky substance makes it difficult to reposition materials in the loop or on the thread. It takes more practice but it is faster to not use wax.

You might want to pick up a spinning loop tool or make one from a sinker and a shepherd's crook.

Here are more precise instructions:

http://fishfliesandwater.com/2011/12...-a-foxxy-worm/

You can see the shepherd's crook tool here. A wire shepherd's crook or even a thick paperclip and a teardrop sinker will make a spinning tool.

Dubbing Tools

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy