The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about
Default Materials help

I am looking to tie some winged wet flys because I love the way they look but I am having problems finding some of the materials can you all help? (consider this an internet based game of a scavenger hunt!)

so heres the list:
dyed orange cock hackle
cock hackle dyed blue
barred teal flank
(here come the real hard ones)
paired hen pheasant wing
hen pheasant tail
blue jay feathers.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Materials help

You have a PM

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Angler's Workshop is a good source for dyed Chinese rooster and hen necks for wets (and salmon/steelhead patterns). They run around $7 and are available in a variety of natural dyed over white and grizzly colors. Wet Fly and Streamer Hackle

They also sell teal, pintail, wood duck and mallard flank feathers.

Joe Fox has some hen pheasant clumps Hen Ringneck Pheasant Tail Clump | Dette Trout Flies

Not sure about Blue Jay feathers-- I think you'd want to consider using a substitute if you're talking about our North American Blue Jay as they are a protected as a song bird and using their feathers (even loose ones found on the ground) is illegal. That said not sure what a good substitute might be--

But many of the old classic wet patterns are actually referring to the European Jay-- which is still available for sale in the UK you may be able to order a skin through Cookshill Fly Tying Materials EUROPEAN JAY SKIN in the US or a pair of wings through Cookshill in the UK Cookshill Fly Tying Materials

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

What size Wets & how many are you planning to Tie then one of us here should be able to help you source your materials.
Brian.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

size 8-12 down to size 14s this is just something I want to tie for the looks seeing as I do not have much in the way of trout waters near me in Dallas. I just ordered a whole hen pheasant skin (tail and wings included) from docs fly box (i sure as hell hope its in stock). I also ordered some strung Chinese rooster feathers in orange, black and kingfisher blue I hope they'll work the same.

also I thought it was illegal to bring in skins of birds from foreign countries? I didn't know it was illegal to use fallen feathers I guess its because there is no way to prove they weren't plucked from the bird right?
Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

The commercially packaged stuff from the UK, like wings and skins sold by Veniard or Cookshill are OK to import and can be ordered from over seas. (Some US fly shops that specialize in softhackles or Atlantic Salmon flies carry or can get Veniard and/or Cookshill stuff.)

As far as using feathers you might find on the ground, it is illegal to use feathers from songbirds and raptors (falcons, hawks, eagles, owls, vultures etc), the logic being that people could deliberately shoot birds for their feathers and claim the feathers were loose ones they found.

Stuff like starlings are fair game (a non-native bird that is considered a pest) and gamebirds and waterfowl feathers are fine.

Some old traditional flies may have recipes for feathers from rare and/or endangered birds but there are a wide variety of acceptable substitutes available for them.