The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default So i am gonna buy a new rotary vise...

I am already annoyed with the ultra cheapy clamp on vise that came with the Orvis tying kit i got.

I have looked through old threads but am still torn. I know that lots of folks here like the Renzetti Traveler and the Peak. Those are two of the three i am considering. My top end budget is $200. The third vise in consideration is the Griffin Montana Mongoose.

I will start by saying i really like the looks of the Griffin MM. It comes with both the C clamp and Base which i like. Plus a few other options. I have read nothing but glowing reviews of both the Renzetti and Peak. I figure that monst tyers around here own one of those two.

But i havent read much about the Griffin. Do they have a bad rep? The vises are all made in the US so that is good. So i guess i am looking for a reason to not buy the Griffin. Those of you with lots of tying experience help me out here. What do you see wrong with the Griffin? I am easily swayed in this regard since so many posters like the other brands. It seems i can get a few other options with the Griffin plus a little different looking vise for only a little bit more.

Hurry, my money is burning a hole in my wallet....
Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: So i am gonna buy a new rotary vise...

Hi Vans.
I bought The Anvil Atlas they are a good Vise for around $129,I Tie all types of Flies with it,it will do all you want,I have a Dyna-King as well,friends have Renzetti's,Griffins,peaks etc,some are "Flasher" however they don't do the job any better
Brian.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Vans: Personally I have the Peak, but honestly, I think you would do well with any of those vises, like you said they are all built in the U.S. and they all look to be very well built. If you're set on the Griffin go for it, I don't think you will regret it.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Thanks for the input guys.