The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:20 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Barely Legal

Anyone got the recipe for a galloups barely legal? I have looked and looked and looked and can't quite seem to find exactly whats in it. It just looks like a lot of marabou, saddle hackle, flash and a fish skull, is that it?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barely Legal

I'm sure kelly would give you the recipe if you give him a call @ The Slide Inn and fly shop 406-682-4804. Maybe order a couple pattern flies while you have him on the line.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

If your for sizzle fysh, i MIght actually do that. While I might not fish the flies It would be cool to have a fly tied at the hand of the man himself. He seems to have a lot of others posted there as well. Plus his flies are just sick.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly is a nice guy, spoken with him a few times when there. His flies and techniques are the bomb.

Upon looking at his sight I noticed they had a nice shirt on sale so I called to check if it was still available hoping to order but no answer. I left a msg for a return call, hopefully he's still around there, I don't think he goes to a warmer climate when the snow falls along the banks of the Madison?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 PM

I'd love to check out that streamer school he has got posted up there... and then I saw the price
Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Anyone got the recipe for a galloups barely legal? I have looked and looked and looked and can't quite seem to find exactly whats in it. It just looks like a lot of marabou, saddle hackle, flash and a fish skull, is that it?
From the photo on his site it is a little hard to tell, but I bet if you bought one it would be pretty simple to figure out how it is constructed, especially if you have done articulated flies before.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 AM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

I love this fly- to me- its an easier, less messy, more natural version of scott sanchez's double bunny.

all it is "stacked" marabou- looks like 4 stacks on the back hook, 4 stacks on the front hook. 2 of each color. flash and a grizzly barred hackle feather going in the middle with the strands going back.

you could tie this relatively easily- i don't know the exact pattern, but with most of his stuff if you know the process you can create anything off of that.

i cant see a picture that up close, he may have done a dubbing loop with pearl ice dub for the bodies, and then stacked on the top and bottom of that. wouldn't be a bad rendition if he didn't either, sort of like the body on his sex dungeon.

you tie it 2-3 times you'll figure it out.

ps- don't buy the fish skulls- buy roman moser's products instead. that is the guy who invented that product before they ripped him off.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I can vouch for how awesome Kelly Galloup is, in addition to his killer patterns and techniques. I was lucky enough to get to talk with him for like 20 minutes, we mostly joked around about shark fishing and random stuff. While in my mind, I wanted to grill him about streamer fishing, but I didn't want to be the last guy at the show to ask him about streamer fishing so we ended up just exchanging stories and joking around, and that guy has some serious stories and great jokes. Oh, and did I mention spectacular streamers?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say that I found this video with a simple Google search. Material list in video as fly is tied.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

I pretty much called it.