The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 AM

awmiller is on a distinguished road
Default Help!! Loads of flies & I don't know what they are!!

A buddy of mine gave me a load of flies some time back. I've identified most of them but there are some that I'm having a tough time figuring out what they are.

So I'm hoping that y'all can lend a helping hand!!!

I've posted the flies I'm needing help on in my image gallery. When you have a chance, please take a look and see if you know what some of these flies are. Feel free to post your thoughts in the COMMENTS portion for each fly.

Also, if you could... please identify items like dry, wet, streamer, nymph, midge, attractor, etc. in your descriptions.

Thanks a bunch!!
~Alan

Click here for my image gallery
Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Help!! Loads of flies & I don't know what they are!!

Hi awmiller,

No one has answered so maybe I can help. You have listed way too many flies. Some are real simple and if you study the pictures at on line sites you will see what they are. Many sites lits their flies by classification so you can learn what is a nymph and what is a dry fly or what ever. I don't think anyone has the time to spend identifying all those flies. If you have a few you are stumped with then ask for help. Sorry, just too much work to identify them at least for me.

Take a look at these sites.

Kaugmann's Streamborn

The Fly Shop

Orvis
Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 AM

Hey Frank! Thanks for the reply! I know that there are a lot of flies out there and I know that no one has the time to pour through them and identify as many as they can. As I get them identified, I'll be removing them from the listing so that the numbers aren't so great.

And thanks for the links as they will help greatly! I have other reference sites that I'm hitting and will add these to my reference library.

Take care!
Old 08-03-2007, 02:23 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmiller View Post
I've posted the flies I'm needing help on in my image gallery. When you have a chance, please take a look and see if you know what some of these flies are. Feel free to post your thoughts in the COMMENTS portion for each fly.

Also, if you could... please identify items like dry, wet, streamer, nymph, midge, attractor, etc. in your descriptions.

Thanks a bunch!!
~Alan

Click here for my image gallery
The first two (IMG_0284 and IMG_0272) are PMX (or "Parachute Madam-X"), a Dave Swisher design, probably PMX Yellow to be exact. The picture isn't good enough (or my eyes) for me to see the fly abdomen color, but the parachute color should agree. These are dry flies, generally considered to be attractor type patterns.

I hate to admit it, but that's as far as I went in terms of a quick hit to the gallery of photos. I couldn't quickly figure out how to enter a picture comment, so my apologies for adding the identification here.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:31 PM

Thanks so much MBWCC!! Every little bit helps tremendously!!!! I too have found it difficult to post a comment to a picture. There's one in that list IMG_0236 that is pink & white. This one is tore up from the floor up!!! But it works like a charm!! I'd love to tie more of it but I'm curious to find out if there were other materials on it (& have fallen off from use....) or if it's just what I see on the hook right now?!

Plus I need to find the right lighting and camera distance from my camera so that the pictures I take are easier to see and folks can make out what the fly really is!

Thanks again!!
Old 08-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

IMG_0269 is a bonefish fly i can't recall the name of.

IMG_0258 and 259 look like mayfly emergers of some sort.

256 is an elk hair caddis

most of the next down to 231 are attempts at dry flies tied with low quality hackle. Not knocking yer stuff, but you'll have a bugger of a time getting them to float.

222 looks like a peacock parachute caddis

223-226 are caddis pupae of some sort

most of the rest are pretty standard nymphs, though i can't see them well enough to say for sure which

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:56 PM

Thumbs up Re: Help!! Loads of flies & I don't know what they are!!

Thanks BigCliff ... you Super Moderator you!!!

I'm trying to find out that bonefish fly myself. I just can't remember if I bought it from Cabela's or Bass Pro. The good thing is that I can print out these pictures and take them with me to the stores and try to track them down. (At least for those that I bought from them!)

Thanks so much for taking the time to pour through all of them and providing your inputs!!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:04 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Some of the bead head nymphs look like hares ear. One looks like a pheasant tale but it is hard to tell.

Keep in mind some may be "experimental" flys, tied based on a typical fly with slight variations to see how well they will catch fish. One of the nice things about tying is experimenting to see how well something will work. I say use them and have fun with them.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

loads of flies is right! u r lucky to have a friend give u so many! i will guess a couple . some i never seen around.
looks like IMG_0232 is a burkes nymph, IMG_0200 like a prince nymph, and like cliff says alot of um are just mayfly and midge and caddis imitations. if u check out some fly shops online u will get the drift of what fly represents what.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:53 PM

HotShot is on a distinguished road

Alan,
Looks like you received a number of great flies! Follow the suggestions of the other guys about the names, etc.

Maybe your friend is like I am -- that is, he just likes to tie flies and experiments. Often I will take a specific pattern and tie up a dozen or two in various hook sizes. Then I get bored and/or creative or innovative and change the color, or the material, or add a bead, or add weight, or change the hook style {streamer to scud to jig} etc.

In other words, I have a lot of flies that are not "standard" or an exact pattern. But, guess what, the fish around here -- don't know -- and I catch them anyway. Of course, bass, bream, and other warm water fish are not quite as choosey as trout or Salmon. I like to be creative or innovative and for me that is the "FUN" of tying flies.

If you read the history or story of someone who developed an effective pattern -- you will usually find they have tried for several years to find just the right combination of hooks, material, weight, dubbing, hackle, etc. and finally -- finally they got a fly that preforms the way they want it to in the water --e.i. looks like a minnow, or frog, or crawfish, or crab -- e.i. swims, hops, crawls, etc. like it is LIVE. Then after testing it against their other dozen or so previous patterns they settle on this one "Recipe" which they find is the BEST ONE OF THEM ALL.

KEEP YOU LINE WET!
In His Love,
Clyde