The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: The best stocked store you've come across

I envy and hate you guys
I dont have single one store with with fly tying stuff in my country or anywhere near by
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have used JStockard and Feather-Craft for materials and have been pleased with both shops. Both have good selections of materials, although I think Feather-Craft has a notch up on harder to find or greater quality materials. Hook & Hackle is another great one to do business with. Great selection and very good prices. When I'm placing an order, I end up buying from whichever one has the majority or all of what I'm looking for. Sometimes end up getting things from multiple shops. With certain materials like feathers, I like to actually see them before buying. I hit my local shop frequently for materials too.

Thanks for the tip on Bob Marriott's shop, I will have to add that to the list.

s fontinalis, if you are ever headed to Central PA, you should go to Fly Fisher's Paradise in State College. FFP has a very good selection of materials. The Feathered Hook is just a cool shop that you should try and stop in if you are in the Coburn area.

Last edited by jaybo41; 01-25-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post

S Fonatalis, if you are ever headed to Central PA, you should go to Fly Fisher's Paradise in State College. FFP has a very good selection of materials. The Feathered Hook is just a cool shop that you should try and stop in if you are in the Coburn area.
Jaybo

Thanks for the pointers...should I find myself in that neck of the woods, i'll be sure to check them out.

Thanks to everyone else also for the tips on great stores. Some I was aware of, others not. I hope everyone else finds something they can use from this thread too.

I should add here, that Mad River Outfitters in Ohio has a pretty good selection online too, and with free shipping over $25, its hard not to spend that much!

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I should also add, Kirks Fly Shop in Estes Park, CO was a FANTASTIC! shop!!!!They had everything!! If its the best non-local shop I've been in yet.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Eunan,

While I wish I could tell you where to get that silver bullet, alas I can not. However I will offer this consolation; the collection of fly tying materials and mental cataloging of where to find what and when is a life's work. With the internet at your disposal you will work wonders around what I could do as a young man seeking often exotic odds & ends. As time wears on you will find that a collection will build from which you will be able to draw about anything you may desire. Be patient, those were 2 words that fell on my young ears hard but in the end I became........ both patient and well stocked.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Here's another I've had good experience with: Caddis Fly Shop in Eugene Oregon

Fly Tying Materials | Fly Fishing Supplies | Fly Tying Tools

They also have a YouTube channel that I've found very helpful, both in understanding some new materials and new tying techniques.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:45 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
I envy and hate you guys
I dont have single one store with with fly tying stuff in my country or anywhere near by
Can you get your maerials from the U.S. or Europe fairly reasonable?
BTW, J Stockard is great for us.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
While I wish I could tell you where to get that silver bullet, alas I can not. However I will offer this consolation; the collection of fly tying materials and mental cataloging of where to find what and when is a life's work. With the internet at your disposal you will work wonders around what I could do as a young man seeking often exotic odds & ends. As time wears on you will find that a collection will build from which you will be able to draw about anything you may desire. Be patient, those were 2 words that fell on my young ears hard but in the end I became........ both patient and well stocked.
Some of the best advise I've ever read!

I think a well stocked supplier will have many of our tying needs, but may not have it all. It will depend on what you're tying for, as far as species. Since I'm primarily a warmwater & tidalwater angler, my needs are different than many of you who are primarily trout anglers. I'm in total agreement with what Ard has posted, and have a large stock of tying materials I've collected over many years. But, I still look around, and take note of shops & online suppliers mentioned by others.

The internet is a great system, and knowing what you need, you can narrow down some searches by looking in specific geographic areas. For example, if you're looking for tying materials to tie Tarpon flies, checking out shops in Florida may not be a bad idea. Not to say that shops in other areas will not have what you need, but you may find that those in an area where that type of fishing is predominant, may have a better selection. If you're only looking for the best price, then you will have to search around and spend time comparing.

I've yet to find a shop that has had all of the materials I use, so I buy from multiple sources.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:07 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Can you get your maerials from the U.S. or Europe fairly reasonable?
Well,tough answer to that Short,I can order by mail but that is not same thing.Something you see in photo is not same when you put it in your hands.Like whiting cock neck for example that I got 5-6 years ago ,allegedly first class for dry flies, ordered online from Cabelas I had to use mostly for wet flies and I dont want even to talk about small things.... If I dont like stuff that I got I cant send it back for example ...

West Europe is far more expensive than USA ...and all good stuff for tying comes to Europe from USA .

But not everything was bad and I was lucky enough to have some of my friends that were on business trips to USA to by me directly in store stuff I need so please continue this thread so I will know where to send someone next time
Old 01-29-2012, 04:45 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Hat's off to Shu-Fly Shop, from Nanuet, NY, who had a booth at the Somerset, NJ Fly Show. Not only were they very well stocked, they also took the time with a "newbie" like me, to go through my shopping list (put together from Charlie Craven's book, my fly-tying class, and the ongoing SBS on this forum), they helped me find most everything, and offered accectable alternative materials when they couldn't. There were a couple of items tat they didn't have, and didn't have an alternative, and they even directed me to a vendor that did!
Rip Tide likes this.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky