The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Moose Mane

anyone ever use this for dry or emerger bodies?

I've been messing with it and can't quite get the hang of of it. The white strand keep breaking.

Any tips?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moose Mane

try soaking it first.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moose Mane

Dan's tip is a good one-- moose mane can be a bit brittle if it's dried out.

Wrapping both the dark and white hairs makes a nice segmented body on smaller hooks-- it's thinner than using the fatter stripped hackle quills, and although not an exact match, it gives a look similar to stripped peacock quill.
Over wrapping with extra fine wire or coating the thread underbody layer with head cement before wrapping the hairs helps to make it more durable.

I usually wrap several hairs at a time that are spread out in a ribbon when wrapped to cover the shank as opposed to trying wrap just a black and white hair in close touching turns to get an exact zebra stripe effect.

Here's a pic of a "Moose Midge" I tied up for the midge swap. I've had a pack sitting around for 20+ years, and thought I'd finally put some of it to use. (besides a few sets of antennae on shrimp flies).

Since it's designed to be fished sub surface I wasn't concerned about weight so it's covered in a UV light cured acrylic resin (Big Bond) -- epoxy or several coats of Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails would also work (but they're a bit messier and you'd have to turn the fly while the epoxy of Sally's dries so it all doesn't sag to the bottom of the hook while curing.

Click the image to open in full size.