The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Changed Bobbin Type and Solved My Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_reaper View Post
The shipping is $7. Not worth it when you can go on EBay and pick one up for 21 with free shipping.

I need to try this. As a new tier it drives me insane that I cannot keep the thread tight. I just wish they weren't so expensive since I could really use two.

Anyone try the Orvis ones?
Stonfo? Similar in many ways, the stonfo has a number tension wheel. From what i can gather that is the main difference.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 PM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Stonfo? Similar in many ways, the stonfo has a number tension wheel. From what i can gather that is the main difference.
That would be the one.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

The Stonfo has a "hardened steel tip" and the new Rite Half Hitch has a "tapered tip" but I didn't see what its made from...

The older Rite bobbins have a ceramic tip, which I'm pretty fond of.

Any feedback on this "hardened steel" (which purports to be 'nearly as strong as ceramic') or the tip material on the Rite Half hitch model?

TIA...
Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Changed Bobbin Type and Solved My Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
YA ZEEERRRR!

On it and order placed.

Fred
Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
As many of you know, I'm just learning how to tie. I've been having difficulty with my "heavy hands", getting the bobbin tension exactly right, and applying too much torque on the thread, causing far too many thread breaks.

At the Somerset Show, I had the opportunity to watch some of the "Masters" tie, and actually got to ask a few questions. More than one suggested that my bobbin may be more of a problem than I had thought. I stopped at the Rite Bobbin booth, and tried out one of their ajustable torque bobbins. I liked it, so I figured I'd purchase one and try it out.

Tied for a better part of the day today (while watching the 24-Hour Rolex Race), and did not break a SINGLE thread, all day!!! Got all of my "homework" done for my next tying class, so now I can start to self-learn another fly or two.

I find it hard to believe that the difference could be this great, but the proof is in the flies (and the missing frustration!).
No doubt they are good bobbins.

I assume you still have your old bobbins. I suggest you try adjusting them as follows:

"Learning Curve - Thread Tension and Bobbin Adjustment - Al Campbell's Article - Fly Angler's OnLine

The way to keep line at the correct tension IMHO is to control it with your hand. I adjust my bobbins to be loose so they will not break the weakest threads. Then I put the line around the side stems to add additional tension as needed. The number of wraps keeps the line from being too loose. Then as I tie, I can feel the tension on the thread and I can add additional tension by it by letting the spool slip/rub against my palm. See the hand hold in Gary Borger's Blog method below:

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » Bobbins–Wire Frame

Another thing that new or even experienced tiers do not understand is thread length, and the properties of the various tying threads. For example nylon threads stretch more that GSP threads. The longer the thread, the greater the amount of stretch. Conversely, the shorter the thread, the less stretch but the greater control on thread placement.

But because there is less stretch when tying close to the fly, you are more likely to break the thread! You need to understand this working distance relationship between thread length, thread stretch (that decreases breaks) and the need for accurate placement. As you gain experience, you will break the thread less often.

To minimize the number of thread wraps, the thread needs to "bite" into the material; plus the tighter you tie, you will hold the material more firmly on the hook. This means, the closer you are to maximum tension, the more stretch the thread on the fly will have and the more firmly it will hold the material. So you want your thread to be close to the maximum tension which means you will occasionally break the thread.

So the goal is not to never break thread. If you never break thread, you will need extra wraps to hold the materials.
fire instructor likes this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The Rite-Bobbins are a very nice item; but, in a lot of cases you can solve your thread breaking problems with the purchase of an ordinary ceramic bobbin. I love my Rite, but I use the cheap ceramics for a lot of my tying...

Dan
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I think I may pick up a Rite Bobbin as well, though my inexpensive ceramic-tipped Orvis bobbin is the best of the standard wire-framed bobbins I've used so far.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

A couple of good articles there, Silver! I'll look at my old bobbins when i get home, but I'm betting that they are rubbing on the spools. I did experiment with the Rite, so that it's good and snug, but not enough to break thread. I tied some more witth the Rite last night, this time exclusively with 8/0 thread, and again, no breaks.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 AM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

I picked one up last night. Luckily my local fly shop just happened to get a large order in, the only one of the year for some reason and he had one left.

Should be able to play this weekend. I do own the Dr. Slicks kit and maybe I need to try and mess with mine as well. It is a ceramic tip.

Thank you for the interesting articles.