The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Changed Bobbin Type and Solved My Problem!

As many of you know, I'm just learning how to tie. I've been having difficulty with my "heavy hands", getting the bobbin tension exactly right, and applying too much torque on the thread, causing far too many thread breaks.

At the Somerset Show, I had the opportunity to watch some of the "Masters" tie, and actually got to ask a few questions. More than one suggested that my bobbin may be more of a problem than I had thought. I stopped at the Rite Bobbin booth, and tried out one of their ajustable torque bobbins. I liked it, so I figured I'd purchase one and try it out.

Tied for a better part of the day today (while watching the 24-Hour Rolex Race), and did not break a SINGLE thread, all day!!! Got all of my "homework" done for my next tying class, so now I can start to self-learn another fly or two.

I find it hard to believe that the difference could be this great, but the proof is in the flies (and the missing frustration!).

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changed Bobbin Type and Solved My Problem!

Rick: Good to hear that you have solved your problem with breaking the thread.

Larry
Old 01-29-2012, 06:02 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

That's great to hear! I keep looking at the Rite bobbins, but haven't pulled the trigger.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

I love my rite-bobbin. Especially with 8/0 thread it makes a huge difference!

-Forrest
Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i didnt pull the trigger til if found them for $16. Now i love them. Need to get more.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
i didnt pull the trigger til if found them for $16. Now i love them. Need to get more.

You want to share where you found that deal?!?!

-Forrest
Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I've got ten sauseges for fingers.... Too many years of pulling hose, forcing doors, popping car doors and hoods, etc. for me to have much feeling in any of my fingers. The Rite-Bobbin's made the difference for me. What I lack in sensitivity, the bobbin has! So go for it. Pull the trigger.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-30-2012, 01:22 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Changed Bobbin Type and Solved My Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by famill00 View Post
You want to share where you found that deal?!?!

-Forrest
+1 HERE! Love the darned things, but they are one of those 'If price is no object .....' type of buys.
fae
Old 01-30-2012, 01:27 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Rite Bobbins - $16.99

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

The shipping is $7. Not worth it when you can go on EBay and pick one up for 21 with free shipping.

I need to try this. As a new tier it drives me insane that I cannot keep the thread tight. I just wish they weren't so expensive since I could really use two.

Anyone try the Orvis ones?