The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default No-foul Bunny

My friend Gary was tying these at the most recent club meeting and I thought I'd share his video.
I've also included a photo of Gary working hard for some fish

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No-foul Bunny

Rip: Very nice technique for tying a streamer where the tail won't get fouled in the hook! I see Gary takes his surf fishing very serious!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting way to tie streamers,thanks for sharing RipNext time ask Gary to take off his waders before sunbathing
Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That's a heck of an idea, I'm already thinking of how I can apply to replacing furled bodies on some flies!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I may have to try this with a Reynold's Pike fly. It would be great to be able to do them without the weed gaurd. I say weed gaurd but it's real purpose is to keep the tail from wrapping the hook. Thanks for posting that.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

So Clever!! I should have thought of that years ago. Does anyone have a link/picture/recipe of a "Snake" fly??? From what I remember of seeing on a while back it has a very long tail that may benefit from this technique.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

What a neat trick, thanks for sharing.

Dave
Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

nice work. you should call it a thingamafeather..
Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
So Clever!! I should have thought of that years ago. Does anyone have a link/picture/recipe of a "Snake" fly??? From what I remember of seeing on a while back it has a very long tail that may benefit from this technique.
The Tabory snake fly traditionally has a tail of ostrich herl, but saddle hackle has long been acceptable too.
If you were to tie the snake fly with a bunny tail you'd almost be required to use either the technique in the video or a "mono loop support" as the hydrolics of water passing around the deerhair head would foul the tail for sure.

BUNNY Mono loop support
I tie my mono loop support in a bit differently than pictured in this link
Instead on tying the loop in and then tying in the tail resting on the loop, I tie in my tail first and then tie the loop on top .
You then pull the tail up through the loop, trapping it in place.

Here's a traditional Tabory snake fly
http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/sbssnake_fly.htm

Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Thanks RIP, what I saw must have been a hybridized version, either that or just mis-named because I'm pretty sure it was made with a bunny strip. You said they have been made with hackle feathers; that would be quite a pricey fly these days! By the way, the fad is not completely dead. I saw Steven Tyler wearing a quarter grizzly saddle on each side of his wig earlier this week on TV.